Specialized Master in Business Analytics
The Fisher SMB-A Difference

Students Working on project

In a world powered by Big Data, performing sophisticated and systematic analyses of information is highly valued. The Fisher Specialized Master in Business Analytics (SMB-A) provides the know-how to effectively harness, interpret, and analyze this data.

At Fisher we deliver this know-how through an individualized approach. Each student is given opportunities to practice in real life what your professors have taught in the classroom. This experiential learning methodology means that you’ll be given actual business challenges and work with your peers to solve them. This deep dive into analytics is the key to unlocking your career potential.

Our program has the following unique features:

  • Blended Delivery Format

    SMB-A students complete each class 75 percent online (asynchronous), with the remaining 25 percent delivered via in-person Saturday classes or live-streaming*. Fisher's blended learning format combines the flexibility of online learning with personal interactions and intensive individual and group learning through traditional face-to-face instruction. Beginning Autumn 2020, students living 50+ miles away from Ohio State's main campus can live-stream* Saturday sessions to complete the in-person portion of each class.

    Download the SMB-A Information Sheet and Curriculum

    *Live-streaming is a pilot program in 2020. Except under unusual circumstances, the online streaming option is only available to students living 50+ miles away from Ohio State’s main campus.

  • Based in "R"

    The R statistical package has become the language of analytic modeling. A common component of our classes is the reliance on R for learning and analysis. R is used extensively by major players in data analytics; some examples include Google, Amazon and Nationwide Insurance. Gain the skills top employers seek and use them to stand out.

  • Capstone Project

    At the conclusion of the program, during the summer semester, each student will complete a 3-credit-hour applied analytics practicum/capstone course. The Capstone course is an integral part of the SMB-A program and is designed to help students further practice, apply, showcase and fine-tune the skills they learned in the program on carefully selected and approved real-world analytics projects using data from their current employer or other sponsoring organizations. Capstone projects often originate from the student's work experience, providing a hands-on real-life platform for learning.

  • World-class Faculty

    The Specialized Master in Analytics program is co-directed by Drs. Greg Allenby and Waleed Muhanna, both full-time faculty members at the Fisher College of Business. Greg Allenby holds the Helen C. Kurtz Chair in Marketing and is Fellow of two societies - the Informs Society for Marketing Science and the American Statistical Association. Waleed Muhanna is Professor of Accounting and Management Information Systems and publishes widely on topics related to information systems. They are joined by a dedicated set of individuals who are successful researchers and teachers at Ohio State.

The SMB-A Program at a Glance
  • 31.5 credit hours required plan of study
  • 2.5 semesters (10-month) long, full-time program, with the possibility of stretching it over a 2 year period for those wishing to enroll on a part-time basis
  • A blended learning delivery model tailored to you 75% online / 25% in-person Saturday classes or live-streaming*.
  • 3.5 in morning and 3.5 in afternoon. 1.5 hour for lunch. Lunch will be provided during in-person Saturday classes.
  • STEM-designated degree
  • Dedicated one-on-one SMB-A career consultant

*Live-streaming is a pilot program in 2020. Except under unusual circumstances, the online streaming option is only available to students living 50+ miles away from Ohio State’s main campus.