Office of Global Business: Fall/Spring Exchange
Outbound FAQ

Please read through the following FAQ to help you learn more about the Outbound Student Exchange Program.

Program Selection

Application Process

Cost of the Program

  • 1. How much does exchange cost?

    Cost varies depending on the location you select to go and is hard to predict due to the fluctuating monetary exchange rates. You can can search through the Exchange Partner pages for specific location budget sheets for out of pocket expense items that you will have to consider as part of your budget.

    To get an estimate of living expenses abroad, past students have used resources online like NUMBEO, etc. Some costs that OSU will charge are: a $150 application fee for Student Exchange upon application, your OSU tuition for the semester abroad, and the MANDATORY supplemental international health insurance that range from $200-$300, depending on your selected program. These amounts are subject to change.

  • 2. How does the supplemental health insurance work?

    You will automatically be enrolled in the supplemental health insurance, which is MANDATORY to all study abroad students after being admitted into the program. You must also be enrolled in a primary insurance with either OSU's Comprehensive Student Health Insurance or your family plan, to receive this supplemental health insurance service. For more insurance information, please visit OIA's Insurance page.

  • 3. Is Financial Aid available to help with the cost of a student exchange program?

    Financial aid is applicable to all Student Exchange Programs. Students who already receive aid may qualify for additional funding to offset the extra costs sometimes associated with Student Exchange expenses. Additional aid often comes in the form of loans. Even students who have not received financial aid in the past may be eligible for a loan to help with additional study abroad expenses. The budget letters for students who wish to request for an increase in financial aid may find them on the specific exchange partner webpages. For more information, contact Ohio State's Office of Student Financial Aid. Submission of the request does not guarantee increase in financial aid.

  • 4. How is disbursement of financial aid handled for a student exchange program?

    The process for receiving financial aid remains the same as when students are on campus. Financial aid funds will be electronically transferred to pay your student's tuition bill.

  • 5. Are there scholarships available for Student Exchange?

    Yes. There is a list of resources available on the Funding Study Abroad page. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) also provides scholarship information on their scholarship page.

  • 6. Is there any penalty for withdrawing from the program?

    Official cancellation or withdrawal from a program requires a written notification from the participant either by email, fax or mail. Cancellation/withdrawal becomes effective on the date the withdrawal notice is received by the Office of Global Business, by email or postmark. You will pay a cancellation fee of $200 if you withdraw from the program after your acceptance. This will be charged to your OSU account. Additionally, any cost associated with your withdraw (cancellation fee for flights, housing, etc.) will be the students' responsibility.

Courses and Grades

  • 1. How will I register for classes the semester I am on exchange?

    When you are accepted into the program, you will be enrolled in the placeholder course, BUSADM 5797 for 12 OSU credit hours. The Office of Global Business will register you for these credit hours closer to your exchange program start dates. To enroll in the courses at the Host Institution, you will have to work with the Host Institution's exchange coordinator.

  • 2. How will I get credit for courses I need to graduate from OSU?

    When you return, a conversion will be made from the BUSADM 5797 placeholder course to the actual courses and credit hours you took abroad.

  • 3. How will I know which foreign course will come back as which OSU course?

    There is a past course equivalency list that is provided on the Exchange Partner pages as reference to help you prepare for your course planning abroad. It is also important to understand that the courses on this list are NOT guaranteed, and you will have to be flexible in the courses you select abroad. This is because course schedule changes at our partner universities, just like OSU courses change, and it is hard for us to predict which course will remain and which will be cancelled for each year. It is recommended that students have backup plans to prepare for any unexpected instances.

  • 4. Can I take online courses at OSU while abroad?

    No, your tuition at OSU will be used by the students coming from our Host Institutions, under the exchange agreement, so you will not be able to take online courses at OSU while you are abroad.

  • 5. May I take a course as Pass/Fail?

    Undergraduate students cannot take courses Pass/Fail. Grades must come in as A-E. What you earn on exchange will be reflected on your academic record at OSU and accumulated into your overall GPA.

  • 6. Can I take major courses at the host institution?

    Yes, you can take Major courses, Core business courses, limited Specialization courses, and Gen Ed courses while abroad, as long as it is offered at the Host Institutions. Please note that some schools have restrictions on the number of Gen Ed courses exchange students can take, or what type of major courses are offered at the Host Institution. Fisher also provides guidelines on the courses you are able to take, or what courses you cannot take abroad. This will differ depending on your major, and will require consultation with an academic advisor to confirm your specific situation.

  • 7. Can I take minor courses at the host institution?

    This will depend on if your minor department will allow this coordination and if the Host Institution you select offer the courses. Some past students have been successful in using foreign courses towards their minor by pre-planning with their minor academic advisor and Fisher's exchange coordinator. It is important that the host institution you select will allow you to take courses outside of the business school as well.

  • 8. How will the foreign class grades come back to OSU?

    We have a grade conversion table for each host institution. Your foreign class grades will be converted to OSU grades using this table.

Travel Arrangements

  • 1. What kind of travel arrangements will I have to make?

    It will be your responsibility to arrange for the following items to go on exchange, after you are admitted into the program. You may find more information on the Outbound Exchange main page under "Before Departure". The list below is a reference, and other arrangements may be necessary depending on your destination for exchange:

    • Flight: Air transportation to travel to the host institution and back to the U.S.
    • Passport: Current passport that is valid until 6 months AFTER the end of your exchange program.
    • Student Visa/Residence Permit: Very important element to enter the country in which you are studying. The process to obtain a visa or residence permit will differ per country, and most of the time it may take time to receive the appropriate documents. Plan ahead to obtain your visa or resident permit as soon as possible. To obtain a visa or resident permit, please refer to the country's embassy webpage for the most up to date information.
    • Housing: Some institutions may provide housing for exchange students. However, some may not, so you will have to search for housing in this case. Some partner universities provide information on off-campus housing on their websites.
      • You may also use HousingAnywhere to search for housing. Please note that this is an off-campus provider, and neither Fisher nor OSU will be responsible for any damages or problems that may result in using this resource.
    • Medication: Make sure you complete a health check up with OSU's Student Health Services or your own doctor about studying abroad. You may need to get vaccines for your travel, and any medical examinations for your trip will be your own cost.
      • If you have any prescriptions that you will take while abroad, it is recommended to take more than you need for the duration of your travel. A prescription request letter can be provided by the Office of Global Business after you are admitted into the program. Please keep in mind that some legal drugs in the U.S. may be considered illegal in other countries.
  • 2. Will there be assistance in travel arrangements?

    Yes, your host institution coordinator and Fisher's exchange coordinator will advise you in regard to travel arrangements or academic arrangements, but you will be the main coordinator for your own exchange program.

    If you confront any difficulties on student visas, resident permits, and/or housing arrangements in-country, it is recommended that students reach out to the exchange coordinator, at least two months in advance to request additional assistance.

  • 3. Are there any resources for travel arrangements and notices?

    Please refer to the Global Resource page for resource information. Below are other links that may be helpful related to exchange: