Karen Wruck is Dean’s Distinguished Professor and Professor of Finance at the Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University. Prior to her appointment at Ohio State, Wruck served on the faculty of the Harvard Business School. Her research and teaching are in the fields of financial and organizational economics, with special emphasis on corporate finance, restructuring, financial distress, governance, and management compensation. She has published numerous articles in leading academic journals and developed highly successful courses for delivery to MBAs and executives. In addition, her work and opinions have been highlighted in business periodicals. Professor Wruck is an associate editor of the Journal of Financial Economics, Journal of Corporate Finance,Journal of Financial Research and European Financial Management and she serves as an ad hoc referee for many other academic journals. She has served as an academic director of the Financial Management Association and the Turnaround Management Association, a consultant to major corporations and has worked on a number of high-profile corporate litigation projects as a subject matter expert.
During her time at Ohio State, Professor Wruck has served in senior leadership positions at the Fisher College of Business, including Associate Dean and Senior Associate Dean with responsibility for all Fisher’s degree granting academic programs and major operating units within the College. In addition, as a senior leader of the College, she worked on significant issues including strategy, centers of excellence, AACSB reaccreditation, curriculum design, semester conversion, new minors and degree granting programs, budget, faculty appointments, compensation, workload and a variety of special projects and initiatives. In recognition of her leadership and service, Professor Wruck received Ohio State’s Mary Ann Williams Award, which recognizes a woman exhibiting extraordinary leadership, and Fisher’s Bostick-Georges Pacesetter Service Award, which recognizes exceptional leadership and service to the College of Business. In addition, Professor Wruck has on multiple occasions been selected as outstanding professor by Ohio State’s full-time and executive MBA programs.
Professor Wruck holds an A.B. from Davidson College, Phi Beta Kappa, in Economics, and both an M.S. in Applied Economics and a Ph.D. in Finance and Accounting from the University of Rochester.
Awards and Honors
- Mary Ann Williams Award, recognizes an Ohio State University woman who exhibits extraordinary leadership
- Outstanding Elective Faculty Award, full time MBA program, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University
- Bostick-Georges Pacesetter Service Award, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, for exceptional service to the College
- Multiple time winner of the Outstanding Core Faculty Award, full time MBA program, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University
- Academic Director, Member of Nominating Committee, Financial Management Association
- Two publications (Warner, Watts and Wruck (1988) and Wruck (1989)) recognized as Journal of Financial Economics “All-Star” papers based on top two papers per volume in terms of citations for papers published between 1974 and 1995
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Executive MBA program, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University
- Westerbeck Graduate Teaching Award, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, for exceptional contribution toward graduate student intellectual and cultural growth
- Turnaround Management Association, Academic Director
- Beta Gamma Sigma (Business Honor Society)
- State Farm Companies Foundation Fellowship for Doctoral Dissertation in Business
- Earhart Foundation Fellowship for Doctoral Dissertation in Business
- American Accounting Association Doctoral Consortium Fellow
- University of Rochester fellowship and full tuition waiver
- Phi Beta Kappa (Undergraduate Honor Society)
- Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics Honor Society)
- Lunsford Richardson Honors Scholarship, Davidson College