Cynthia W. Turner joined the Department of Accounting and MIS in the autumn of 2013 as a senior lecturer of accounting. Cynthia comes to Fisher having served on the faculty of the Department of Accountancy at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign for more than 17 years where she she was lecturer and associate director of the department’s undergraduate accountancy program. Cynthia has a MA and PhD in accounting from The Ohio State University Fisher College of Business and a BS in accounting from North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, NC.
Cynthia currently serves on the leadership team at Fisher College as the Assistant Dean and Chief Diversity Officer. As a faculty member in the Accounting & MIS Department, she teaches courses in cost and managerial accounting, and accounting and information systems in the undergraduate and MAcc programs. Further, she teaches in the executive education program at Fisher College. As a researcher, Cynthia's scholarly work has been in the Journal of Accounting Research and the International Journal of Accounting.
In 2016, Cynthia created Project THRIVE, a diversity initiative designed to increase the underrepresented minority talent within the undergraduate program in the accounting and MIS department. In 2018, she was honored for her success in doubling the diversity within the undergraduate program in two short years, and was awarded the Distinguished Diversity Enhancement Award by the university.
Prior to beginning her academic career, she was a practicing accountant at EY. Cynthia is a certified public accountant and member of the American Accounting Association, the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and the National Association of Black Accountants.
- EY Excellence in Teaching Award (MAcc Program), 2018-2019
- Distinguished Diversity Enhancement Award, The Ohio State University, 2018
- Undergraduate Service Award, Fisher College of Business, The Ohio State University, 2018
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Residence Halls Advisory Council, The Ohio State University, 2014
- Included (every semester) on List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, 2006-2009, 2012
- Outstanding Teaching Award for Small Classes, College of Business Council, 2002