Assistant Professor of Operations Management
Dr. Gökçe Esenduran is an assistant professor of operations management. She joined the Fisher faculty in 2010 after receiving her PhD in operations, technology and innovation management from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where she also taught operations management. Her research investigates the profitability and efficiency of green operations driven by environmental regulations or market competition. Her research also has implications for policy makers about the design of efficient environmental regulations. Her work has been accepted for publication in Journal of Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, Journal of Supply Chain Management, and Business Horizons.
Dr. Esenduran teaches an MBA elective called "Sustainable Operations" which she created in 2013 and a PhD Seminar on sustainable operations. She also teaches Introduction to Operations Management in the undergraduate program. She serves as an ad-hoc referee for Management Sciences, Manufacturing and Service Operations Management, Production and Operations Management, Decision Sciences, European Journal of Operational Research, and Naval Research Logistics.
Dr. Esenduran has served as the chair of Sustainable Operations track in 2011 INFORMS Midwestern, marketing and operations management interface track in 2014 POMS, and as co-chair of 2014 DSI Doctoral Dissertation Competition.
- Co-winner, Decision Sciences Institute Elwood S. Buffa Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2011
- Kenan-Flagler Business School Outstanding Graduating Student Award, 2010
- UNC Graduate School “Dissertation Completion Fellowship”, 2009-2010
- INFORMS Future Academician Colloquium San Diego California, 2009
- UNC Center for Faculty Excellence “Future Faculty Fellowship”, 2008
- Kenan-Flagler Business School “M. Wayne Delozier Fellowship”, 2008
Areas of Expertise
- Sustainable operations management
- Environmental regulations
- Closed-loop supply chain management
- Operations marketing interface
- Distribution channels
- PhD in Operations, Technology and Innovation Management, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2010.
- MS in Industrial Engineering, Bogazici University (Istanbul, Turkey), 2004.
- BS in Industrial Engineering, Bogazici University, 2002.
- Esenduran, G., E. Kemahlioglu-Ziya and J. M. Swaminathan, 2016, "Impact of Take-Back Regulation on Remanufacturing", accepted at Production and Operations Management.
- Gray, J.V., G. Esenduran, M.J. Rungtusanatham and K. Skowronski, 2016, "Why in the World Did They Reshore? Examining Small-to-Medium Sized Manufacturer Decisions", accepted at Journal of Operations Management.
- Esenduran, G., E. Kemahlioglu-Ziya, and J. M. Swaminathan, 2016, "Take-Back Legislation: Consequences for Remanufacturing and Environment", Decision Sciences, Vol. 47(2), pp 219-256.
- Esenduran, G., N. G. Hall, and Z. Liu, 2015, "Compliance with Environmental Regulation in Project- Based Industries", Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 62(3), pp 228-247.
- Esenduran, G. and E. Kemahlioglu-Ziya, 2015, "A Comparison of Product Take-Back Compliance Schemes", Production and Operations Management, Vol. 24(1), pp 71-88.
- Buxel, H., G. Esenduran and S. Griffin, 2014, "Strategic Sustainability: Creating Business Value with Life Cycle Analysis", Business Horizons, Vol. 58, pp 109-122.
- Griffin S., H. Buxel, and G. Esenduran "Surprising Insights from Environmental Screenings," in "Big Idea: Sustainability, Opinion & Analysis," MIT Sloan Management Review, (October 2013)
- Gray, J.V., K. Skowronski, G. Esenduran, and M.J. Rungtusanatham, 2012, "The Reshoring Phenomenon: What Supply Chain Academics Ought to Know and Should Do," Journal of Supply Chain Management 49(2), pp 27-33.
- Bilge, U., G. Esenduran, N. Varol, Z. Ozturk, B. Aydin, and A. Alp, 2006, "Multi-Attribute Responsive Dispatching Strategies for Automated Guided Vehicles",International Journal of Production Economics 100, pp 65-75.
- N. Aras, G. Esenduran, and I.K. Altinel, 2004, "Product Line Selection and Pricing with Remanufacturing Under Availability Constraints," Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing IV 5583, pp 244-256.
- Esenduran, G., A. Atasu, 2015, "The Effect of EPR on the Markets for Waste", Environmentally Responsible Supply Chains, Ed. A. Atasu, Springer.
- Esenduran, G., E. Kemahlioglu-Ziya, and J. M. Swaminathan, 2012, "Product Take-Back Legislation and its Impact on Recycling and Remanufacturing Industries," in Sustainable Supply Chains: Models, Methods and Public Policy Implications, R. Ganeshan, V. Jayaraman, Springer, eds. (2012).
- Esenduran, G., L. X. Lu, and J. M. Swaminathan, 2016, "Buyback Pricing in Distribution Channels", invited for second-round review at Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
- Lin, Y., W. Xiao, G. Esenduran, and M. Jin, 2016. "Impact of Certification Program on E-Waste Recovery in the Presence of Secondary Market", invited for second-round review at Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
- Esenduran, G., A. Atasu, and Luk N. Van Wassenhove, 2016, "Valuable E-Waste: Implications for Extended Producer Responsibility" under revision.
- Esenduran, G., M.J. Rungtusanatham, and M.A. Schwieterman, 2015, "The Sustainability Agenda: How Can OM/SCM Scholars and Researchers Contribute?" under revision.
BUSMGT 3230 - Introduction to Operations Management: Improving Competitiveness in Organizations
Introduction to operations and supply chain management to improve manufacturing and service organizations; analyzing, controlling and improving resources and processes to increase productivity, generate value-added output and meet business goals.
Prereq: Econ 2001.01 (200), 2002.01 (201); and Stat 1430 (133) or equivalent. Not open to students with credit for 3130 (430) or 630, or to students enrolled in UUSS, UExp or PreBSBA-PR.
BUSMGT 7253 - Sustainable Operations
Reviews several sustainable operations strategy models and examines different ways of adopting eco-efficiency principles into business operations through waste reduction and design for recovery. Highlights factors that promote these efforts, such as environmental laws and product returns.
Prereq: Enrollment in MBA or WPMBA program.