The Magic Wand that Makes Lean Operations Management Easier and Better

“If you had a magic wand, what is the first thing that you would fix in an organization you’re coaching?”

Chris Burnham asked me this question when I recorded a guest spot on his Lean Leadership podcast.

My answer was simple: If I could wave a magic wand, I would instantly develop the capabilities and the habits of all the leaders in the plant to Leverage the Positive by giving effective reinforcing feedback – or effective recognition feedback.

What is Reinforcing Feedback?

Reinforcing feedback is recognizing helpful behaviors that you want to see continued or to see more of. But it’s a lot more than “saying thank you”. When we give reinforcing feedback, team members feel seen and valued, and they know what they’re doing that is helpful and how it has a positive impact. This leads people to show up with greater commitment and to do more of those helpful behaviors. 

It’s a simple way to demonstrate respect for people and encourage continuous improvement.

Current Recognition Programs and “Thank You’s” Don’t Work

Managers often feel like they “say thank you” and share appreciation all.the.time. But there’s a disconnect. According to engagement surveys:

82% of US employees say:

“I’m not recognized enough for my contributions”

Not only that, but it’s quite common for team members to express something along the lines of:

I do 10 things right and never hear a word.

I do one thing wrong and never hear the end of it.

Every time I meet with a group of managers and ask if they themselves have felt this way or if they’ve heard people in their organizations express this sentiment . . . . the answer is always yes. Every. Single. Time. We have a problem. The way we recognize people now isn’t being perceived as recognition by team members.

Biggest Recognition Feedback Mistake Made in Operations Management

One big recognition feedback mistake operations managers and executives make is to assume everything’s okay. To not recognize the problem. We tend to assume we’re doing it, assume we know how to do it, and assume the other leaders on our team are doing it.

We’re kind of stuck on ineffective autopilot when it comes to reinforcing feedback. If we want to change this, then we have to say no to the status quo and do something different instead.

How Reinforcing Feedback is Different than Typical Operations Recognition

Reinforcing feedback is different from the autopilot things managers do today that aren’t quite working. It’s purposeful. It’s specific. It’s simple to do. It demonstrates respect for people, and it encourages the helpful behaviors that lead to continuous improvement.  It even makes change adoption easier.

Reinforcing feedback is part of my framework where we DECIDE to Leverage the Positive. DECIDE is a memory aid that will help you recall the steps of the framework.

• D: Define the specifics
  • E: Execute the feedback formula
  • C: Connect to True North
  • I: Integrate into your every day
  • D: Deliver it in your voice
  • E: Evaluate for next steps

Interested in learning more about feedback and the DECIDE model? I will be delving into feedback that builds great workplaces and sparks continuous improvement during the upcoming (virtual) COE Summit on April 6th and 7th.

In my breakout session, we will explore:

• Discover the four cultural enablers to leading excellence
  • Learn the steps of the DECIDE framework, and why it matters
  • Apply the first step to your specific work environment and needs

You can learn more about the 2022 COE Summit and register below:

Learn More    Register

COE 2022 Summit "OpEx Through a New Lens"

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments