Global Logistics in Central America - A Virtual Internship Experience

After learning that my plans to complete a corporate Fisher Global Consulting project during May of 2020 were cancelled, I thought my opportunities for global experiences were all but over.  As I started looking ahead to the second semester of my junior year, I could see that my course load was going to be relatively light. I wanted to add something to my resume that would set me apart from my peers by giving me valuable real-world experience, despite the ongoing global pandemic. I wanted to stay safe, but I also wanted to begin making connections in my field. Everything about the Fisher Global Internships: Virtual program made sense for my current situation, so I knew that it was the perfect time to take on this new and exciting endeavor.

When it came time to apply, I specified on my application that I was majoring in Logistics and that I hoped to find an internship within my field. I was hopeful that I would be paired with a company where I could learn and grow, and I can say with confidence that I did! I was paired with a large-scale shipping company at their Honduras location. My internship hours consisted of meeting with my supervisor on Tuesdays, then giving presentations to other important stakeholders in the company every Friday.  As an intern, my main role was to help bring attention toward addressing operational concerns of customers across the network of company locations. The internship site was technically located in Honduras, but given the program was virtual, I had the opportunity to meet with people in almost every country in North, Central, and South America during these meetings. For these meetings I was responsible for looking through all negative feedback that was received, analyzing it, and seeking connections or patterns among the negative comments. I would then present to my supervisor and important stakeholders my findings.  This experience taught me a lot about the value of receiving feedback and how to keep customers satisfied by addressing their concerns. It was a truly unique experience for me, and I feel so lucky to have had the opportunity to be placed with such a great company through the Fisher Global Internships: Virtual program.

Overall, this internship provided me with the flexibility to work from home, while still gaining exposure to people across many different countries and cultures. Among this, I learned valuable, real-world presentation and public speaking skills. Getting to know individuals from across the world on a personal and professional level showed me so much about adapting to other cultures and their customs. I was tasked with frequent presentations that at times felt very high-stakes, but as I progressed, I became a more efficient and eloquent public speaker. I gained so much from my time in the Fisher Global Internships: Virtual program!

Megan 1

Megan Fisher is a Senior from Cleveland, OH studying Operations Management and Logistics Management, with the Global Option in Business Micro Credential.  In the spring of 2021, she interned for Sealand Americas – A Maersk Company in the C4 region.  Megan has limited international travel experience (for now), but she has visited Ghana for the Fisher Global Consulting: Non-Profit Program and has also been to Canada.

Megan 2

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments