International Student, Virtual Global Internship

As an international student who is seeking job opportunities in the US after graduation, I was very glad to learn that there is a Fisher Global Internships program which can provide in-country internship experiences during the summer semester. Although it is a pity that I was not able to be in the company in-person due to COVID-19, I am glad I could still experience more than I expected throughout this virtual internship.

With the help of Global Academic Ventures, I was paired with The Advance Group (TAG) located in New York. This is a political consulting company which is looking for a high-energy and extremely motivated professional with an interest in non-profits, politics, lobbying or communications. My main task has been to draft solicitations for clients, as well as facilitate mail projects. I also attend political, non-profit, advocacy, or labor union community organizing meetings and take notes. Although it is a relatively small company, I have had the opportunity to work directly with TAG’s staff and clients, ranging from elected officials, non-profit organizations, labor unions, and corporations.

Because the company is in the US, the time zone was not a problem for me. Also, I like the work schedule flexibility TAG had offered. I can choose times where I do not have my summer term courses in order to focus on my assignments better. Other than the daily email containing the instructions of my assignments from my mentor, TAG also hosted many online events that allowed TAG staff members to hear the advice and ideas of their interns. This aligns with the thing I value when looking at a company’s working environment, which is making sure everyone’s voice can be heard.

Overall, my global internship helped me with continuing my degree in college and job experience after graduation. Although my major is Accounting, working at TAG increased my knowledge in the political consulting industry which I have never been in before. Now I have the confidence to quickly adapt the knowledge in an area I have never learned. It has also expanded my job opportunities as I can look for potential jobs that might not only have to do with accounting. I am very thankful for my experience and all people who have worked with me during this particularly hard time.

Cathy

About the Author:

My name is Cathy Qian, and I am a junior majoring in Accounting at the Fisher College of Business and minoring in Economics. I was born and raised in China. I served as an active member in Asian Business Student Association and event planning and treasury department in International Career Management at OSU. Besides from academic perspective, I have an amazing on campus job as a student assistant in dinning services. I like cooking, travelling, and dancing in my spare time.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments