Reflecting Back on my SMF Experience

As I enter my final weeks of the SMF program I wanted to look back and share some of the things I have learned this year.

• Engage with Fisher Community: There are so many great people in the SMF program, but it is important to remember that is just one small part of the Fisher College of Business community. I learned so many great things from my peers in the SMF program, but I learned just as much from my interactions with MACC, MHRM, MBA, and even undergrad students. They brought different perspectives and ways of thinking that had a profound impact on me. Also, let's not forget about the great professors in the Fisher community, who went out of their way to help me learn on multiple occasions. If you ever find yourself in my shoes, don't be shy to talk to anyone and everyone, no matter how intimidating it might seem. We are all part of the Fisher family!
  • Try Not to Stress: I know when you enter a graduate program, it is really easy to stress over things like grades and the career search. I know for the first half of the year, I felt like a human stress ball. But, don't let that stress eat up your life though, as it can have a tangible impact on the work you do. Just remember that as long as you work hard, you will succeed in the SMF program and you will find a job.
  • Enjoy Columbus: I did my undergraduate studies here at Ohio State, and after this year I regret not using those three years to explore Columbus more. This year I got the chance to get out there and see some of the best things Columbus has to offer. There are so many great bars, restaurants, and activities in Columbus. Round up some friends and bar hop in the Short North, or maybe go hit some balls at the TopGolf in Polaris. There are endless things to do when you step off-campus, so make sure you are really utilizing your free time. If you need some ideas, check out my previous blog posts.
  • Be a team player: There will be a lot of group work when you join the SMF program, so not being a team player really isn't an option. But if you lean into your team roles, your time in the SMF program will be infinitely more valuable. You will get so many opportunities to learn from your peers. Not to mention the fact that being an effective team member will really help you manage your workload. Remember, communication is key!
  • Have Fun: There will be a lot going on when you join the SMF program between classes, career search, and extracurriculars; so it is easy to forget to take a step back from all that and just have fun sometimes. Blowing off some steam was so important for me, as it kept me from feeling any burnout during my time here. I like to see movies at Gateway or hang out with some friends, but do whatever makes you happy.
  • Make the most out of your time: This final piece of advice kind of encompasses everything else I just said. You only have 9 months here at OSU if you join the SMF program, so don't let that time pass you by. Join clubs, chat with professors, study hard, and have fun; all of it will give you memories that will last you a lifetime. The SMF program is a one-of-a-kind opportunity that you should not waste.

I hope these tips can help you all have just as amazing of a time as I had in the program.