Campus with a Pulse

IT’S GOOD TO BE BACK! It’s been a few weeks back on campus and there are many transitions happening coming from a remote world to the new normal. Students have moved back into the dorms, classes are full of students, and campus is full of life. Being an extroverted person, seeing the campus busy is refreshing and brings me so much energy. As much as I love being in person this year, there have been some transitions I had to get used to.

The first transition was actually getting to know campus! Being that I did not go to undergraduate here at Ohio State and a majority of my first year being remote, I did not know campus really well. I was somewhat familiar with parts of campus because I had a couple in person classes last year but they were in odd buildings and did not last long before moving online. Now I am consistently in the business buildings and it feels like being home! The campus that I am getting used to is gorgeous and everyone seems to be taking advantage of it. Whether it’s someone playing frisbee in the grass, or individuals studying at the tables outside of Fisher, it’s great to see things getting back to the new normal.

Like I mentioned, classes were mostly all online last year, so being back in person for all classes is a huge transition. In the beginning of last year, my classes started in person but inevitably moved online. Even though professors tried to simulate in-person classes as much as possible remotely, the formats still ended up being different than what they would be actually in person. Now in person, it is easier to be seen when you have a question or need clarification, it’s an easier transition into the flow of the course, and of course there is no worry of technical issues! What I love most about being back in person is getting to be more interactive with my classmates. I used to only hear people speak if they were able to get called on in the zoom call or in a breakout room, but now I get to be there with them, see more people, and have more opportunities to make connections.

With the world opening back up, there are more chances to do in-person activities. I wanted to give a huge shoutout to the hard work being done by the MHRM council who are planning and hosting a multitude of great and engaging events for the classmates to get together! Last year’s MHRM council still did a great job planning fun virtual events for people to attend but it is so great this year to meet everyone in person! I feel like I have more opportunities this year to spend time with my classmates outside of the classroom. Whether that is tailgating for a game or going bowling! Relationships and connections are one of the greatest things you can get out of the MHRM program, and it’s great to get to make more of those via these events.