Tips and Tricks for Beating the Winter Blues

The Winter Blues and SAD (seasonal affective disorder) are faced by many during the winter months in places where it gets cold. The cold weather can make many feel down, depressed, and lethargic. Though the Winter Blues and SAD are different, tips and tricks for combatting them often overlap. Here are a few tips and tricks I have for getting through the cold Winters in Columbus, as a Los Angeles native accustomed to warm and sunny weather all year long. 

Exposure to Sunlight 

Yes, the lack of sunlight and warmth during this time of year is, among other things, the root of the problem—but that does not mean there is zero sunlight all winter (at least not in Ohio). Planning walks around when the UV is highest during the winter months while bundled up in layers, I have found has helped ease the symptoms of the winter blues. Additionally, ensuring I keep my apartment windows open until sundown has given me ample sun exposure while I study and when it is too cold for me to go out on walks. Sure, it is not the same as the warm sunshine on your skin, but exposure to the sunlight will aid in feeling slightly better. 

Consider taking Vitamin D supplements 

Since serotonin is produced more in the absence of vitamin D, it is no surprise that during the winter months, when less vitamin D is absorbed into the skin through sunshine, people feel more down and tired. Due to this, I recommend considering taking a vitamin D supplement. Doing this has made me feel more energized during the winter months, and I have noticed improvements in my mood. Ensure to obtain a high-quality vitamin supplement, follow the correct dose instructions, and consult with your doctor first. 

Utilize Winter as a Time to Hibernate 

My first winter in Ohio was my first time experiencing cold weather. Before Ohio State, I have never been in snow. So, when I had my first Winter in Ohio, I forced myself to do activities and “make the most” of my days despite feeling down and blue after classes and work. However, by my third winter in Ohio, I stopped fighting it and started to accept the changing seasons and embrace winter. This meant I listened to my body and would go to bed early after getting my work done. I did not push myself to the limit by doing activities to keep me occupied or distracted from the cold. Once I viewed the wintertime as a time to relax and reset, I embraced it. Bundling up, taking hot showers, going to sleep early after a long day walking to and from class in the snow, and admiring the beauty of the powdered snow on campus has not only helped me get through my last 3 winters here, but has given me the ability to appreciate the winter time.