What I've Learned in Fisher's MHRM Program

As the MHRM program draws to a close, I find myself reflecting on the time I have spent in the program.  Throughout the past three semesters, I have learned a great deal about HR Management and myself.  Below, you will find three of the most important lessons that I learned during my time in this program.

1. Effective HR is critical to organizational success.

An HR program will teach you many of the different academic theories behind Human Resources management.  A great HR program, like the one we have here at Fisher, will also give you numerous opportunities to put that theory into practice.  Most importantly, I am so grateful to have been able to pursue an internship as a part of the Ohio State MHRM program.  Through my internship, I learned so many valuable lessons about both the organization that I worked with and about myself.  Paramount amongst these lessons was the learning listed above: Effective HR is critical to organizational success.  I felt so lucky to have seen this lesson reinforced in my organization this summer, and I felt just as lucky to have learned many valuable theories and practices in the MHRM program that I was able to bring into my organization.  As I continue my HR career, I am excited to practice in a company that truly values Human Resources as a critical business function. 

2. Your weaknesses don’t make you weak.

Another infinitely valuable lesson I learned during my time in this program was that your weaknesses don’t necessarily make you weak.  Rather, by acknowledging and addressing the areas where you are not as strong, you can become a better person and professional.  This program helped me to shift my mindset to see my weaknesses as opportunities for growth, rather than as areas that indicate some personal failure.  I am grateful to take this lesson with me as I transition into a new HR Role.

3. Value the time that you have with the people around you.

I am so grateful to have met so many wonderful individuals over the course of the MHRM program.  A final critical lesson that this program has taught me has been the importance of valuing those around you.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to get to know my fellow classmates.  

In conclusion, I am incredibly grateful to have learned so much over the course of my time in the Ohio State MHRM program.  I can’t wait to take these lessons and more with me as I continue my work as an HR Professional.