Reflecting Back and Finishing Strong!

This month marks the end of my first year at the Fisher College of Business, and what a year it has been! I cannot put into words how amazing the experience was and how thoroughly I enjoyed being a part of it. I have made some lifelong connections and built some strong networks during the course of this program. Reflecting back, I would love to highlight the plethora of skills that I have acquired in such a limited amount of time.

Solving real-world business cases: While joining the program, I was aware of a few core courses that we would end up taking, like the Social Impact Challenge and the Business Lab Challenge, which would help us with solving the real-world cases. But besides this, I got an amazing experience from participating in various case competitions with my classmates and putting on our thinking hats. It helped us gain great experience as consultants who solve problems hands-on and are quick to think on their feet. A case-based curriculum helps a lot to relate the concepts and come up with solutions to problems.

Communication:  We have professors encouraging active classroom participation to enable the process of thinking out loud and bouncing ideas off of each other. This helps gain diverse viewpoints and newer perspectives on what is being taught in class. Our core teams are designed in a way that everyone comes from varied backgrounds culturally and has diverse work experiences to aid in this process further, which has taught me how to work with people across the board better.

Presentation: The amount of hard work you have put in doesn’t matter if you are unable to present it the right way. We have learned the process of making excellent business presentations for our clients through various case competitions offered to us. We also have a few great courses to support this, e.g., data visualization and data tools to help analyze the data better and visually represent it for the masses to comprehend.

Networking: MBA life is all about networking. This is a chance to form strong social connections and establish a network of peers to communicate better and form lasting relationships. The network of support you build in college will last a lifetime and help you throughout. I have been lucky enough to get in touch with some very helpful classmates and alumni, and I can vouch for Fisher’s strong alumni network.

All in all, this has been an excellent year and a great learning experience, and I can't wait to start my second year in the MBA.