Choosing Classes for My Third Semester

In all honesty, it feels like it was just yesterday when I was taking all my business core classes back-to-back. Even though, at this point, I am four short weeks away from my first year as a Full-Time MBA student being over. Somewhere along the way, I learned more about finance, accounting, and operations, without ever having dug deep into the subjects before.

At this moment, we are finishing our business lab projects; mine is with Grange Insurance. We are also wrapping up any additional team projects we have had during the semester. All things considered, I believe the first semester taught us time management because we had to learn a million things all at once, and the second semester taught us collaboration and teamwork.

Keeping those things in mind, I believe I have found my stride in terms of which subject I am interested in, and which subjects I want more exposure to. As well as the balance between the number of exams, quizzes, homework, and group projects that work best for me. Those are all things I needed to consider when picking my classes for Autumn 2023.

In the end, I concluded that I wanted to take a deeper dive into operations and finance. So far, my comfort with the subjects is at a medium level, and I want to take this opportunity at Fisher to learn from the best. Therefore, the electives I chose are:

• Corporate Finance: A class that builds upon the principles of corporate finance covered in our core finance classes and addresses the firm’s two other main financial decisions, which involve its capital structure and payout policies
  • Fintech: The class will give me an overview of the most recent technological advances that are radically changing the financial services industry. Technological breakthroughs offer new ways for people to save, invest, borrow, and transact.
  • Strategic Global Sourcing: This class focuses on major decisions related to global sourcing, starting with ownership and location. Among other topics, we will look into fundamental trade-offs in sourcing organizations, such as centralizing or decentralizing.
  • Six Sigma Principles: It’s an introductory class to the Six Sigma process improvement methodology by practicing with its tools.

I hope this was helpful in considering what are some classes you might be interested here at Fisher College of Business.