Start of the 2nd year

Looking back at the first half of the fall semester, there are tons of differences between the two years of the MBA program. During the first year, the class sizes seem smaller since there is only one common class with other classes being electives. The year is more focused on your choice of specialization and you spend more time with people who are interested in similar fields. I had come into to program stressed about the job market after COVID and the low turnout at career fairs only added to the stress. But after completing a successful internship at Amazon and being offered a full time job, the second half of the program started on a positive note given that it was my dream job.

My experience reinforced my passion for Operations, so I came into the year a lot clearer on my career goals and was able to select electives that were relevant to the skills I needed to develop. The Operations faculty at Fisher is one of the best, in my opinion, and they are highly knowledgeable; my experience with the electives I have taken this semester is a testament to that. The professors have great subject matter and industry knowledge and they force you to apply yourself. Some of the courses I highly recommend to any student interested in operations are Six Sigma, Matching Supply and Demand (Supply Chain Analytics) & Global Strategic Sources. 

During the second year, you have the opportunity to work as a student organization leader — I was recently elected to be the President of the Supply Chain Association and the Fisher Indian Student Association. As a student organization leader, you get an opportunity to assist incoming students, organize events, network with industry leaders, and stay involved in the OSU community. I highly recommend students who are interested in leadership take on such responsibilities as they are great learning experiences for leadership skills.

Finally, having my job at the start of the year has given me the time I would otherwise invest in job hunting to explore my own interests. I have started going to the Recreation & Physical Activity Center (RPAC), Ohio State's largest physical activity center. It has everything you can dream of, including an aquatic center for swimmers, multiple gyms, and multiple team sports arenas. It is a great space to work out, organize team games, attend group fitness events, or just play a game of pool. All Ohio State state students must check out this state-of-the-art facility.