Finding My Way at OSU

When I decided to move to Columbus for grad school, I knew it was going to be a big change. I’m originally from the Eastern Shore of Virginia which is about nine hours away from Ohio. I knew once moving I would not be able to go home as much as I would like to pack up and make it a weekend trip. However, I pushed myself because change can always be a good thing. I found moving for undergrad only being 2.5 hours away I was constantly going home frequently almost every other weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed my previous college experience, and for grad school I wanted to branch out of my comfort zone just a little more.

About the fourth week of school, I began to regret the decision. I wanted to go home and be with my family. I’ve always been big on spending time with family and friends. I have a big family that is very close knit. Moving to a new city, I don’t see many familiar faces and I had to make connections all over again. I was never used to a big school with so many students. During this process, it’s hard when you’re not as outgoing as others. However, day by day I’m finding myself and extending my capabilities.

During this time, I just had to find outlets of letting myself go through all the emotions of moving away from home. Being homesick is a normal part of the process. I knew things weren’t going to be easy. By only attending work and class, I began to quickly find myself going in a dark place. I had to take advantage of walking around our beautiful campus to clear my head. I needed that alone time to embrace how I was feeling and what I was going through. On a Friday afternoon, I put my Airpods in and walked as much I could alone. I found it was okay to be alone and let my thoughts clear.

Sunset at Olentangy Bridge

I also found it hard finding friends that had the same schedule to be able to attend events on-campus and off-campus. I would often stay in my apartment all day if I didn’t have class or work. I wanted to be out and about to explore, but I was afraid to do it by myself. One day I decided to take the leap and just do it. I went to my first football game in the Shoe alone. I didn’t want to miss the homecoming game of the season. I found some people from my program there sitting in my same section. I was so happy I went because I had a blast. Seeing the script Ohio for the first time on the field was amazing. That was one experience I will forever be grateful for.

Script Ohio at Homecoming Game

Being in grad school is not easy but it’s how you deal with things that make it better. The way is to find outlets to process and breathe through the changes of life. I’m finding change can be good, but also overwhelming. I still take this journey day by day, but it has gotten better now than at the beginning of the semester. By finding my way at OSU, I’m finding my individual identity away from family. I’ve had to branch out of my comfort zone and do some things on my own not always being with a crowd. A little cliché, but I’ve quickly learned you will miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If I decide to not explore while being a student, later I will regret the decision of not enjoying myself while being here. Moving into a new environment will take you out of your comfort zone, but if you give your authentic self, it becomes easier to find your way.

I still talk to my family every day. I miss home. However, I enjoy the friends and professors Fisher has given me. With our class size being small, I’ve built friendships with others in just a short amount of time. They’ve given me light on dark days to reaffirm my decision of why I moved away from home to be on my own in order to find my career path in HR. I know this journey will be worth it to my growth in the end. I still take one day at a time realizing I’m human and I will always miss what I’m use to. I will never forget home. However, I know OSU has offered me the chance of a lifetime.

The Crowd at Homecoming Game