Welcome to Ohio!

As I begin my fifth week at Ohio State, I begin to look back on my journey so far. I’m proud of myself for the accomplishments I achieved thus far. I’ve made it to all my classes. I’ve successfully figured out the Ohio State app for the on-campus bus system. I’ve started my GA position in the Graduate Programs office. Last but not least, I’ve only had one break down about my coursework and being homesick. Some may look at these steps as minor, but for me they are huge to starting my new journey at a large university.

I'm a small-town girl from the Eastern Shore of Virginia. For undergrad, I attended Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Virginia. My undergrad was a small public university. All of my classes were in same three buildings and an average 10 minute walk from my apartment. Also, I was only 2 hours away from home. I could visit my family every weekend if I wanted to take the drive. I knew coming to a new state 9 hours away would be out of my comfort zone. I knew I would have a hard time adjusting because I’ve always been a family-oriented person. However, after being here only a few weeks, I’ve begun to love Columbus.

My Hometown

I love my apartment, the view from my room, and my roommate. The OSU housing system did great placing me with someone. Our first weekend together, we made it to the Farmer’s Market not far from campus. We found a nice selection of produce, entertainment, and even fresh flowers. A small but meaningful experience that made my Saturday complete. During our journey, we discovered this beautiful mural that stated, “Dream Big.” I keep this mural in the back of my mind as I live my day to day here in Columbus. I would’ve never thought I would be in this position today. I have to keep pushing to achieve where I want to be.

The students in my cohort of the MHRM program are great. Being in classes with the same people, allows you to start building bonds and connections with others of all different backgrounds. I love the aspect that we have found just as many similarities within each other as differences. I can see how my cohort as we grow through the program together will become more like family than colleagues.

Moving to a new city and a bigger university, I have experienced some major adjustments. The transition to all night classes for graduate school is the first change that comes to mind. This one small change has made my entire eat, sleep, and work schedule a lot different. I’m still adjusting to the change and knowing the best way to still have time management to be productive throughout my day. A bigger university is also a challenge all on its own. I must say I enjoy the Fisher College of Business because it has its own community within the university. I’m slowly learning the different buildings on campus, but I know how to navigate the buildings I especially need for my academic purposes.

I take this journey day by day. Life is full of transitions, and I plan to make the most out of my time here at Ohio State. I look forward to getting to learn and develop my HR skills with my cohort to become successful individuals ready to take on the workforce. I continue to wonder why I found my way this far from home. However, I’m slowly discovering my capabilities as I’ve branched off. This is only week five. I look forward to the many weeks ahead. There’s always a purpose in every journey.

DREAM BIG