MAcc Talk with Scott Howson, President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Hockey League

One of my favorite things about the MAcc program is our weekly MAcc talks on Thursdays.  Every Thursday we have someone come speak to us around lunchtime.  The speakers range from academic to business professionals and come from all types of different backgrounds.  Every speaker has been so different which is what makes it so exciting.

Some of the speakers we have had so far were Brian Bushee, Vice Dean of Teaching and Learning at Wharton, and David Rogier, the creator of Masterclass.  My personal favorite was Scott Howson, the President and Chief Executive Officer of the American Hockey League.  Scott talked about his experience getting to where he was today, important qualities in a leader, and left us with some really impactful life lessons to live by.  These lessons were the following:

1. Find your passion
  2. Embrace being uncomfortable
  3. Choose your attitude everyday
  4. Have faith in yourself
  5. Do the right thing
  6. Be gritty (He also mentioned this book to read “Grit” by Angela Duckworth)
  7. Be humble

The two that really stood out to me were choose your attitude everyday and be gritty. It’s really easy to let schoolwork overwhelm you but after his talk, I make a conscious decision to choose my attitude even if it’s something I am not looking forward to.  I make sure that the attitude I choose is a positive one and it really does make a difference.  In addition, being gritty has always been something my family has talked about as well. I have lived by the quote “So as long as there is breath in me, that long I will persist. For now I know one of the greatest principles on success, if I persist long enough I will win“. To hear someone of his caliber speak to the importance of grit was really cool to me and only amplified the importance of it even more.  Always do one more thing each day than you think you can.

Another important message from Scott was "Your greatest strength, is your greatest weakness".  I had never heard this before and it really struck a chord with me.  It's not something I had ever thought about before but once I did, it made complete sense.  I think this is something critical to be aware of when we start our profession in accounting.

Finally, a few other messages he left us with is "failure is temporary" and "enjoy the journey".  Hearing Scott's experience really opened my eyes.  We will all fail at one point, but it is temporary, and it is how we bounce back and to continue to believe in oneself, but don't forget to enjoy it along the way.  I wish I could highlight everything Scott mentioned but I know his talk is something that will stick with me. I really think this was a talk that all MAcc students needed to hear before they embark on their journey into the professional world.

I am very grateful that Ohio State has allowed me to hear from such wonderful and inspiring speakers.  It is definitely something that really sets this program apart.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
CAPTCHA This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

0 Comments