Expect the Unexpected

It is hard to believe I am already three quarters of the way through my time in the MAcc program here at Fisher. While reflecting on how rewarding this experience has been, I realized how much of this experience I underestimated. Don’t get me wrong, I was looking forward to this year, but little did I know what it had in store.  Here are some things I expected from this experience:

• I knew I would be taking accounting courses to achieve the necessary 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA, and have time to study for the exams during school.
  • I knew I would be working 10 hours per week in the Graduate Programs Office as a Graduate Assistant (GA).
  • I knew I would be living with another girl in the program whom I found on the 2018/2019 MAcc class Facebook page.
  • I knew I would get to officially be a Buckeye and enjoy a fall full of Ohio State football!

More importantly, here are some of the unexpected experiences that the MAcc program provided me with:

• Growing my network by meeting students who will be working all over the country and the world.
  • Gaining new friendships with students who have similar career paths and goals as I do.
  • Having a blast with the other GAs whom I work with, and looking forward to going to work every day.
  • Taking courses and developing friendships with students in the MBA, MHRM, and SMF programs.
  • Playing intramural volleyball on Sunday nights with my fellow GA co-workers (Go Notorious D.I.G.).
  • Having a great support network of classmates/study buddies who are also studying for the CPA.

Moral of the story: your time in the Ohio State MAcc program is short but sweet—the MAcc program has so much to offer!

Author: Audrey Farber

Undergrad institution: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Undergrad Major: Accountancy Previous Employer: Deloitte Job Title: Audit Intern