GMAT Study Tips

Learn how to BEAT the test: Strategy

Once I mastered strategy, the online question bank that my materials provided helped me apply that strategy, and I saw huge improvements in my metrics.

• Explore various preparation resources and weigh your options.
  • A source with an online question bank is a helpful study tool because you can measure your improvement and take advantage of question repetition.
  • Find a resource that will teach you strategy!

Study Plan

Everyone is different! Creating a study plan that works for you is going to take some feeling out. Utilize your network and find out what worked for your peers. For me, I felt that repetition of multiple choice questions was the best way to study. The advice that I received prior to taking the test was to study 8–10 hours per week for at least eight weeks leading up to the test.

The first GMAT exam I sat for was in November of my senior year. Personally, I studied seven hours per week for eight weeks prior to that first test. I was enrolled in 21 credit hours that semester, so I was not in the best situation to prepare for a standardized test and did not receive my desired score.

It is OKAY to take the GMAT more than once. Most people do not get their desired score the first time.

The second time I took the GMAT was after a restful winter break. With a clear head, I focused on studying my weakest area of the test: Verbal Reasoning. I was able to improve my verbal score significantly, which subsequently improved my overall score.

Also, be sure to incorporate balance into your study plan! Even though my schedule was hectic, I made sure to set aside time workout and have fun with my friends. I didn’t let the GMAT keep me from playing intramurals.

My business fraternity’s IM volleyball team!

What to expect on test day

• There is no calculator for the Quantitative portion on the exam (so don’t study with one!)
  • A laminated sheet and a permanent marker is available to work through problems, so I recommend studying with blank paper and a permanent writing utensil to simulate test conditions
  • Be aware that once you click “submit test,” your score instantly pops up on the screen!

Good Luck!

Author: Audrey Farber

Undergrad institution: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Undergrad Major: Accountancy Previous Employer: Deloitte Job Title: Audit Intern