MAcc Takes Tax Knowledge to Philanthropy

In the MAcc program, our semesters are split into two 7-week sessions. This session, I am really enjoying my Tax Planning for Managerial Accounting class. This is the second tax class I have taken, the first being in undergrad, and I am scheduled to take two more tax electives in the Spring.

What I love about this tax class is that I am learning tools that are current, relevant, and applicable to my personal and work life. My professor, Kathy Wantuch, has a very interesting background in tax law, which has provided me with the opportunity to learn about tax from a completely different perspective. Tax laws change frequently, so no matter how recently you studied corporate or income tax, chances are you’re going to learn something new!

In the MAcc program, we all have the opportunity to take our interest in tax and apply it philanthropically. Each year, students in the MAcc program have the opportunity to participate in VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) which is held in a partnership of the MAcc council and Beta Alpha Psi with the United Way of Central Ohio. The program offers free tax preparation to lower income households and is a great way for MAcc students to spend time with peers while giving back to the community. The Ohio State University’s Office of Outreach and Engagement honored the program with the 2017 Distinguished Service-Learning award after tax season last year.

All students are eligible to participate, and the process of joining the program begins around November of each year. I talked with my classmate, Tyler Stacks, about his involvement with VITA this year.

As the VP of Community Service for the MAcc council, I am in charge of recruiting MAcc and Beta Alpha Psi students to volunteer for the VITA program. This has provided the opportunity to work alongside Stephanie Lewis, the head of the program here at OSU. Come tax season, I will be helping prepare tax returns while also being a site manager. This will be my first year working with VITA, and I couldn’t be more excited. I’m drawn to the program for the opportunity to use the skills we have been learning to help those in need. 

Author: Audrey Farber

Undergrad institution: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign Undergrad Major: Accountancy Previous Employer: Deloitte Job Title: Audit Intern