The GA Life

Ohio State Specialized Masters Programs all have Graduate Assistant (GA) opportunities available for students.  Many of those who contribute to the My Fisher Grad Life Blog are graduate assistants, including myself, so I figured it would be helpful to explain a little more about the GA position and what we do!

In my opinion, the GA position is the best opportunity for a graduate student to work on campus.  Graduate Assistants work 10 hours a week and are rewarded with a 50% tuition waiver and monthly stipend.  Everyone who applies for a graduate program is automatically considered for a GA position.

Graduate Assistants work as recruiting ambassadors, teaching assistants, or help out with special projects.  As a recruiting ambassador, I have had the opportunity to interact with students from across the world and talk to them about how great Ohio State’s Master of Accounting program is.

Promoting Ohio State Masters Programs in the Graduate Programs Office.

My main role as a recruitment GA is to coordinate visits for students who are invited to visit to the Master of Accounting program.  I talk with the prospective student and find a day that works well for them to visit.  I then make the necessary appointments with faculty, recruiting and admissions, and Office of Career Management so that the student gets to experience all the important aspects of Fisher.  On visit day, I will meet the prospective student, bring them to a class, take them out to lunch at the Blackwell Bistro, walk them to their appointments, and give a tour of the Fisher College of Business or the whole Ohio State University campus.

A Student Recruitment Lunch at the Blackwell

Aside from coordinating visits, I help manage our MAcc email box and answer questions daily from interested students.  I also speak to potential students over the phone or during walk-in visits about the MAcc program.  Being a combined BSBA/MAcc student, I am the “go to” for information about getting a combined undergraduate/graduate degree for The Ohio State University undergraduate accounting majors.

Working hard on Halloween

Other responsibilities I have as a recruitment GA involve helping with applicant relationship management in our Salesforce database and speaking to undergraduate classes or on panels about graduate school.  Working in the Graduate Programs Office at Fisher is great because you get to know people from the other programs Fisher offers, such as the MHRM, SMF, and MBA programs.  Everyone in the office is very helpful and friendly and make me enjoy coming to work every day!

With Audrey (MAcc GA) and Elise (MHRM GA) at a Buckeyes game

I hope that this blog has helped provide some insight into a great work and funding opportunity the Fisher College of Business provides select graduate school applicants.  I love The Ohio State University and being a part of the Fisher College of Business, so it’s only a bonus that I get paid to promote the school that has given me so much!  As always, please feel to reach out if you have questions about the MAcc program or life as a graduate student!

Author: Matthew Steffan

Matt Steffan is a fourth year combined BSBA/MAcc student at The Ohio State University. Matt is from Buffalo, New York and will be working for Microsoft upon graduation.