A Typical Day for a Graduate Administrative Assistant

As a graduate administrative assistant (GAA) for the SMF program here at Fisher College of Business, I’m often asked by students to explain my experience working for the admissions and recruiting team– specifically how I earned the role and what I do. Here’s the information:

Part of the GA crew!
Part of the GA crew. That’s me– third from the left. Also pictured from left: Thais Ronconi, Michael Mahoney, and Danny Chehade.

All admitted applicants to the SMF program are considered for a GAA position. Applicants do not have to complete any additional essays or interviews to be considered for a GA position. The positions are typically merit-based and provide a 50% fee and tuition waiver in addition to a monthly stipend. Students with a GAA position typically work 10 hours per week. There are also very rare 20-hour per week, fully-funded GAA positions. As you can imagine, there is a very limited amount of funding available for these positions and the selection process is quite competitive. Again, you’re considered automatically once you’re admitted and you’ll be advised if the admissions and recruiting team wants to award you with a GAA role.

All GAAs work in the Graduate Programs Office located in Gerlach Hall 100. I’ve always found it convenient because all my classes are located in the same building. The 10 hours per week are typically split into two- to three-hour shifts throughout the week.

On a typical day, I come to the office and spend about 45 minutes to an hour answering emails and phone calls from prospective students interested in applying to the SMF program. I also often meet with students currently studying at Ohio State who wants to know more about what the SMF program offers.

Another aspect of my position consists of welcoming students wishing to visit Fisher for a formal visit. After having a first contact with the student, I set up and plan the visit. The day of the actual visit usually consists of me taking the prospective student to lunch with another current SMF student, going to one of my classes, meeting with faculty and staff, and going on a tour of the Ohio State campus.

This is just a short list of what I may do on a typical day. The goal is for me to support the admissions and recruiting staff in any way needed so that they can find and accept the best students for one of the best SMF programs in the country!

One thought on “A Typical Day for a Graduate Administrative Assistant”

1. Hi Ben,

I just read this blog and it sounded so interesting interacting with so many people while working as a GAA. I wanted to know if there are any other opportunities available for those admitted students who had not been granted a GAA position. What sort of options can be utilized to work, interact, learn and develop as well as earn something to support your educational expenses?
    Thanks. 🙂