A Classmate’s Top Three Recommendations for You

Recently, fellow MAcc student, Rachel Cox, interviewed me for my thoughts on the MAcc experience. Now, it’s her turn to be “in the hot seat”! Hopefully, she can help you better understand the MAcc Program as well and why you should apply.

Rachel Cox, MAcc program
  1. Where are you from? 
    1. Hayesville, North Carolina. It’s a small town in western North Carolina.
  2. Where did you earn your undergrad degree?
    1. I earned my undergrad at the University of North Carolina (UNC) in Charlotte. I originally picked UNC for its engineering program, and then found myself in an “intro to accounting” class. After this class, I decided to double-major in accounting and finance.
  3. What brought you to Ohio State?
    1. After visiting the university and meeting with the faculty and staff, I knew I wanted to attend the MAcc program at the Fisher College of Business. The program structure is incomparable to other MAcc programs. All MAcc students are only required to take four core classes and the remaining classes are electives. This structure allowed me to take courses outside of accounting with non-MAcc students, which I believe is very beneficial to my learning experience and career. A second main feature that attracted me to Fisher is the University and atmosphere of Columbus, Ohio. Having always lived in North Carolina, I was ready for a change of pace and location. Moving to a new location (and not knowing anyone) has been an enriching process. I have been able to challenge myself academically, while continuing to grow as a person. I have also met amazing friends and peers.
  4. What’s your favorite class in the MAcc program?
    1. My favorite class in the MAcc program was Professional Research in Accounting, taught by Professor Turner. In this class, we conducted research in Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and auditing standards within the PCAOB. This class taught me how to properly research accounting topics and interpret the topics, which is a necessary competency when working in accounting.
  5. What’s your favorite place to be on campus?
    1. My favorite place lately has been the circuit classes in the RPAC or North Rec gym. These classes have an instructor who also plays music in coordination to the workout. This is a nice break from the academic life while staying healthy.
  6. Any recommendations for future students?
    1. Come to the program with an open mind and don’t be afraid to engage in student activities.
    2. Don’t stress over the little mistakes in your classes. Everything will work out in the end.
    3. Take advantage of all the resources on and off campus in Columbus.

I would like to thank Rachel for taking the time to be interviewed and sharing all her insightful experience with us. Making the decision to come to Fisher and join the MAcc program is one of the most important decisions that I have ever made and I am grateful for it. If you have any questions, please feel free to email fcob-fisher_macc@osu.edu to get connected with one of the graduate administrative ambassadors.