CPA Self Study in Grad School

At the beginning of November, I took my first CPA exam on the BEC (Business Environment and Concepts) section. I will not know my scores until December, but I want to let everyone know it is possible to self-study while doing the MAcc program.

Let me give you a little background on the CPA exam. It consists of four sections: Business Environment and Concepts, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Auditing and Attestation, and Regulation (BEC, FAR, AUD, REG). More information on each exam section can be found at http://www.ais-cpa.com/cpa-exam-sections/

The CPA exam is a stressful topic for many students and can be overwhelming and confusing. Each state has different requirements for when you’re able to sit for the CPA exam. The State of Ohio requires 150 credit hours to sit for the exam, but each state will vary. More information on the exam requirements by State can be found at this website: https://www.thiswaytocpa.com/exam-licensure/state-requirements/

The curriculum for the MAcc program does not build in any CPA material or study classes; however, you can pick your classes to best align with when you may want to study for an exam. For example, my first semester here I will have taken two audit courses, and I plan to begin studying for the Audit section of the CPA exam to take in at the beginning of January. The key to studying for the CPA while taking MAcc courses is to be organized and work ahead. I personally try to stay on campus until I have completed all of the MAcc coursework. Once I’m home I set that time aside for CPA review. Depending on your personality, you may be a late-night studier or someone who prefers waking up at 6am to review.

There is no pressure to take the CPA exam during the MAcc program. It depends on a numerous amount of factors such as state requirements. Many students wait until they graduate from the MAcc program in May to begin studying and take the four sections of the exam. But most importantly, remember to:

Image result for keep calm meme