Fall Break Reflection

Fall Break marks the halfway point of the first semester, and fall is definitely in the air in Columbus.  I went home to Oklahoma for the break to find 90-degree temperatures and a sunburn waiting for me, but when I stepped off the plane after returning to Columbus I needed to fish my coat out of my backpack to keep from shivering.  The stark change in temperature shocked me into realizing just how much time has gone by since I arrived here in August.  We learned the importance of self-reflection in our leadership class and I will likely use various markers and milestones in the program as opportunities to look back on my coursework– which is why I am here after all.

Professor Pinteris, the SMF program director, always refers to the program as a transformation and it really is true.  It’s easy to see the changes in my classmates from our first day of pre-term until now.  The most noticeable thing for me is how much more comfortable all of my classmates have gotten with speaking the “language” of finance.  I think that this is one of the really big benefits of using the case method in classes.  I personally have benefitted from this method a lot because I actually came into the program after going through an entire undergraduate program speaking rarely in very select courses.  Getting pushed out of one’s comfort zone is never easy, but participating in case discussions (which initially took a lot of willpower to do) became second nature for me by the end of the first round of classes.

Since most of the classes in the SMF Program are offered on a quarterly basis rather than a semester basis, I took finals in all but one of my classes right before fall break.  My return from break brings a new wave of classes, and I am very excited as I will begin coursework in our investments and derivatives classes.  Also, my team will begin work on the core capstone project which allows us to put much of what we learned in the first quarter to work in a relatively unstructured class.  I’m looking forward to the exciting new classwork ahead of me and already reaping the rewards from all that I learned in my previous classes!