Study Abroad at Fisher–Orientation and Welcome week

Where to start?

I never imagined I would go this far, both academically speaking and geographically speaking. 15 years of education and 6239.79 miles (to be exact) of traveling, and now, I am here. Hello, FISHER! Hello, OHIO! Hello, AMERICA!

Look how long I travelled to get to Fisher! 6239.79 miles (10041.97 km) Isn’t that crazy?

The journey as an international student begins with a lot of help from the university. As an international student who did not attend THE Ohio State University for my undergrad degree, I attended two separate orientations. The first one was held by the Office of International Affairs (OIA) and the second one was held by our lovely MAcc program.

During the summer time, all international students receive many pre-arrival emails from OIA that contain a lot of useful information for international students such as housing information. They guide international students step-by-step on almost everything. Due to the large number of international students at OSU, all the international students had to register for a specific time to go through the immigration check-in. Based on the immigration check-in date, students would go to the corresponding OIA orientation slots.

OIA orientation information for the year 2017-2018

Students then were able to go to the Ohio Union to get their Buck IDs on the same day of check-in.

You are going to see Brutus a lot, especially during football season.
Ohio Union

The OIA orientation itself took about a day. We went through various workshops to make our adjustment to campus life (and life in the U.S.) easier. Also, to further help, there are some student organizations located on the first floor of the Union to help students set up their bank accounts, U.S phone numbers, and things like that.

The second orientation event for me was the MAcc orientation, which would focus on team-building activities, job-search related questions, and course-related questions. The length of the MAcc orientation may vary year to year, but believe me, you will not regret it (I enjoyed it a lot).

Of course, OSU is great in many aspects, but one thing that you should definitely check out is the D-Tix, the discount ticket service. There all kinds of events in Columbus– and D-Tix offers major discounts on tickets. OSU also offers some free concerts to its students. You just need your ID to pick up the tickets.

Here is my first (free) concert in my life: DJ ZEDD!

DJ ZEDD OSU Concert

I think I’m starting to get used to this new life and am ready for the challenges that are coming soon — the first one is finding a job. It’s “recruiting season”!

Hopefully, next time, I can share some good news on my blog.

GIPHY Studios Originals reaction hope good luck promise GIF