Third Semester: Time to Narrow Your Path

Back to school, back to school…

The Specialized Master in Finance program’s third session¬†of the year started this week and it’s good to be back on campus. It has been almost a month since we have all seen each other and it’s nice to catch up with the friends I made in the first semester. It seems like everyone enjoyed their breaks: a few even did some traveling to cities like Miami, Chicago, and New York City. For me, I traveled to Denver and did some sightseeing and skiing– check out the cool picture of me below at Keystone!

Skiing out in Denver at Keystone
Skiing out in Denver at Keystone

While that was fun and enjoyable, it’s back to focusing on school and my classes for this semester. A cool part about the SMF program is in the third session when you narrow in on which “path” you want to take between the four: Corporate Finance, Investments, Risk, or Real Estate. While you do not have to pick only one path, it is recommended that you focus on one area of study to master it. For me, I have chosen the Corporate Finance path and am excited to take the elective classes that most interest me.

On my schedule this session are: Corporate Financial Reporting, Financial Statement Analysis I, Corporate M&A, and Corporate Financial Management III. The first two are accounting courses that will help me better understand the financial statements and how the line items are connected. The third class is more of strategy behind M&A decisions and what the inputs and factors are that go into these choices. The fourth class covers distressed and declining companies, including the valuation of these companies.

corporate-finance

Overall, I am extremely excited about my schedule. One cool thing about the third and fourth sessions is the overlap with other programs. Now we get to interact with Masters of Accounting, MBA, and MHRM students in our classes. In addition, there are several SMF students also on the Corporate Finance track going through these courses with me. While this session will be challenging, it will definitely be rewarding and I am looking forward to the next six weeks with my classmates.

Author: Brett Hornung

Specialized Master in Finance Candidate, with a focus on Corporate Finance.