A Taste of America

The second term of the first semester often brings just as much stress as the first term, but it also brought me some wonderfully American experiences.

I am a huge basketball fan and the NBA can be a fabulous diversion from schoolwork. This year, during their pre-season, the Cleveland Cavaliers played a game in the Schottenstein Center. I was delighted to have the opportunity to watch the Cavs play right next to my house and having a lifelong Cavs fan with me just made it even better. The stadium atmosphere was completely amazing. The honor of watching the biggest star in the MBA, LeBron James, and his champion teammates was an exciting moment– a nice distraction from the exams and assignments of the program. They truly embody the saying, “work hard, play hard.”

cavs-2 cavs

Despite the workload, there is still time to relax with family and friends.  On this front, nothing is more traditional in the USA than Thanksgiving. So on the fourth Thursday of November, the 23rd, I spent one of the most traditional and delightful nights of the year with a friend and her family. The image of a big turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, and jellied cranberry sauce is both very accurate and very delicious. I was also lucky enough to be able to try other traditional American dishes like sweet potato casserole topped with toasted marshmallows (my favorite dish) and homemade apple pie. Coming from Brazil, I wasn’t sure what to expect from an American Thanksgiving, but I was thrilled to be welcomed into the tradition and to try all the delicious food.  I hope they enjoyed the Brazilian treat that I brought for them, brigadeiros, as much as I enjoyed their cooking.

thanks

I had a great time learning more about the holiday. I also had the unique opportunity to get to know my friend’s dogs and their job in agility training.  Dog agility exists all over the world, including in Brazil, but I had never gotten up close to the canine athletes. I also got to learn about a very interesting party game called Cards Against Humanity. While not necessarily business-school appropriate, it was great for getting us all laughing at the horrible and hilarious answers.

img_0824

Had I not come to Fisher College of Business, I never would have had these experiences.  I’m thankful for meeting these great people who have welcomed me into their lives and homes.  These friends have made the exams and assignments not just easier, but also more enjoyable.  They have made the time between assignments more than I could have asked for.