Involvement at Ohio State (and a National Title)

One of the coolest things about being a student at Ohio State is the level of involvement of the average student. Ohio State provides limitless opportunities to get involved in more ways than I can even begin to describe. There are service and leadership opportunities like Buck-I-Serve and BuckeyeThon in addition to over 1,200 student organizations ,  70 fraternal organizations and student government. There really is something for everyone! Fisher also has quite an array of student organizations ranging from The Fisher Association of Marketing Professionals to Fisher Sports Business Association to the Fisher Graduate Finance Association.

For the sake of this blog, I am going to stick to the 1,200 university-wide student organizations and clubs. Here is a little excerpt from the Ohio Union’s website: “With over 1,200 student organizations, Ohio State provides a wide range of opportunities for students to get involved. Student organizations have a significant impact in providing effective learning environments for students, preparing them to live in a multicultural society and work in a global community. In addition to building lasting friendships, student organizations provide many benefits including serving as a medium for academic discourse, personal growth, leadership development, intercultural understanding and community service. Moreover, research suggests that involved students tend to perform better academically and are more likely to graduate when compared with their non-involved peers.”

As you can tell, student organizations and clubs at Ohio State are a big deal for growth, development and preparation for life after college. My nats smallexperience with clubs was limited until earlier this year. Throughout my time here as an undergraduate student, I wasn’t involved with a single club. I spent the majority of my time either studying, in the pool or in the weight room. Academics and varsity swimming were my life so I really wasn’t even aware of all the opportunities available to students. This year however, I was looking for something to get involved with and I found that in the form of the Club Swim Team.

trophyOn April 3rd, the Ohio State Club Swim Team was crowned East Coast Collegiate National Champions by defeating 9-time defending champion Colorado. The meet lasted three days, took place in Atlanta, Georgia (my future home) and saw two current SMF students competing for gold (myself and Garrett Trebilcock). It was amazing seeing the team’s hard work paying off in the water and it really made me realize the importance of involvement, whether it be in the form of club swimming, student government or fraternal life. My advice to any incoming students, undergraduate or graduate, is to get involved! Find something that interests you and pursue it in your spare time! You never know what connections you’ll make, lessons you’ll learn or accomplishments you will achieve.