Speaker Series 1- Charles Brandes of Charles Brandes Partners

brandesdec31

Speakers = Knowledge outside of the Classroom

In addition to all the intrinsic value we get from going to such a great school, we are often privy to great speakers who add yet more value to our education. I have had the pleasure of attending a couple of speaker series and would like to share some of these series with all of you. As I am a Finance Major and am pursuing the Investment track within the Specialized Master of Finance Program, I am always intrigued by what standards are practiced in the Industry. Mr. Brandes is a proponent of the Value Investing method made famous by Benjamin Graham and further made popular by Warren Buffet.

Mr. Brandes came to speak to the business school at the beginning of the semester last year and shared his experiences with us. To the ones who wanted to do equity research, he drove the point of value investing home. To be more specific, he imparted the importance of fundamentally valuing firms rather than speculating to the performance of a company. It takes time to truly understand what a business is doing, how it operates, and what its drivers are. When one understands that, then it makes it easier to value a company and not be part of the crowd.

More interestingly is what I just recently learned in my Trading and Markets class. Mr. Brandes was the second Investor to put money into the Investor Exchange founded by Brad Katsuyama as portrayed in Michael Lewis’s book. I definitely was able to understand why Mr. Brandes was and is such a proponent of value investing. I could not do justice to the whole subject of Mr. Lewis ‘s book  (Flash Boys) in such few words but would recommend everyone who reads this blog post to read it and read his other books as well.