Welcome Week

The new academic year began with Welcome Week. I don’t know other students’ feelings, but to me, Welcome Week is more like a party.

image2

Actually, Welcome Week did start with a party-Global Buckeye Celebration. With food, games, and dancing, the celebration provided a good opportunity for new students to meet each other. I want to mention the dancer who led the dance that night. At first, not so many students danced with her (International students, especially Chinese students, are too shy to dance in front of a crowd). But slowly, maybe influenced by this brilliant dancer and the atmosphere she created, more and more students joined her. However, I did not join the dancing at last (Yes, I am shy 🙂 ), but I tried some games and the pizza tasted great!

image3

Another important event during Welcome Week is the Involvement Fair. Hundreds of organizations exhibited themselves on the Oval. In China, our university students also have an Involvement Fair but on a much smaller scale. Besides, the main aim of the Chinese Involvement Fair is to attract new members for university association, while the Involvement Fair at OSU was just like a university-wide celebration!

image4

Finally, a concert pushed Welcome Week to an exciting climax. I was shocked because I had never seen so many people on campus before. In front of the Union was a huge crowd of people, on the street was a huge crowd of people…Some of my classmates were trapped on the street as the buses had to changed their routes.

In China, students are not allowed to have so many activities in their first week: people believe that students should calm down and get prepared for a new semester. Party? No way. But I do love Welcome Week in the Ohio State University, it gave me a wonderful beginning to my new academic year.