Do You

In business school, there are so many options available to you – different majors, tracks, classes, case competitions, networking events, student organizations, internships, and other opportunities.  No one does the same thing in business school.  Sure, some people have the same major.  Others intern at the same company.  Still others are on the same student organization leadership boards.  But everyone has slightly different paths through this program.  And that’s a good thing.  So my advice to current and incoming students is this: Don’t worry about what everyone else is doing.  Do you.

This past week the Class of 2016 started Semester #2 of our MBA career.  This term was the first we were able to choose an elective.  I chose corporate finance.  Although I ultimately want to work in marketing, I also want to learn about finance while I’m at Fisher.  The first few days back were filled with people asking about each others breaks and what extra classes they were taking.  Invariably, when I gave my reply, there would be a shocked gasp and a “Why?!”

My background is in literature and creative writing, and I will freely admit that I like words better than I like numbers – but I see a lot of value in understanding numbers.  It’s important to know how to invest and save money.  It’s important to understand your finances and to know your limits – what you can and cannot afford.  Right now my philosophy about money is pretty squirrely – literally.  Birthday money?  Put it in the bank.  Christmas money?  Put it in the bank.  Everything extra goes into savings.  Always.  We’re storing up for winter, folks!  But that isn’t always the best way to do things, and especially not once you start working and making a bit of money.  So I plan to complete the investments track at Fisher and learn how to be a smart investor.  I don’t really care if I struggle with some of the topics (though I did very well in my Finance I and II classes).  I may get a B or two, and that’s okay.  What’s important is that I’m learning, and I’m learning about something I think is valuable.

And maybe a lot of people think finance is scary.  And maybe there’s a stereotype that words people can’t take numbers classes.  And maybe I will struggle more than the average finance student at times.  But ima do me.  And I’m going to get the most I possibly can out of this program.  And that’s what’s most important.

Team 13 santiago's birthday
Team 13! Abhijit is sitting on my left – he’s my corporate finance partner in crime this term!