Angela Joyner, PhD - plug the leaky buckets
Last week was a whirlwind at school - with a ton of fantastic opportunities to have small-group chats with inspirational leaders.
Don't believe me?
- Monday - lunch with Melisa Miller, President of Alliance Data (and my future boss!) with a small group from my Advanced Leadership Class
- Tuesday - Super Bowl Ad Review with AMP and a few marketing professors
- Wednesday - lunch with Jeff Eldersveld from the Columbus Blue Jackets - data analytics meets marketing
- Thursday - lunch with Dr. Angela Joyner, Vice President/General Manager at ConAgra Foods, Inc., courtesy of the Black MBA Association
Told you. Whirlwind.
On Thursday, a few females were asked to join Dr. Joyner for a lunch before her afternoon session to talk about women in the business world and leadership positions. I was so honored to be part of this event and have the chance to ask some questions to Dr. Joyner in a more personal setting. It was a very open dialogue and we discussed female leadership, tricks for approaching conflict and then general work-life balance concerns.
Then Dr. Joyner spoke to a larger group later that afternoon. I filled several pages of notes during her session, but I summarized some of my favorite take-aways below.
These are great tips for business school, the workplace and life in general :)
- Plug the leaky buckets - allow yourself more time to be effective -- set guidelines and rules
- Get the facts at work - Dr. Joyner said this beautifully; find out what good, better and a rock-star looks like at your company
- Identify your gifts & be an expert in something
- Create a powerful brand
- Surround yourself with the right people
- Find your entourage and create raving fans
- Authentically promote yourself
- Reflect, revise and renew - celebrate all of your accomplishments and look at your life with open eyes
Fisher is constantly bringing in inspiring and note-worthy guests that speak to so many topics.
As you can see from the list at the beginning of the post - one week was full of diverse speakers from a wide range of organizations. The meeting with Dr. Joyner inspired me -- but so did the lunch on Monday with Melisa Miller. She got me so excited about returning to Alliance Data and working every day to make an impact. However, my Wednesday lunch with Jeff Eldersveld from the Columbus Blue Jackets was extremely informative.
Just another great week here at Fisher!