Sustainability at Ohio State

That's right. Nada.

That’s right. Nada.

Last semester I was lucky enough to be a part of the Sustainability team of The Ohio State  University. Its major initiative - The Zero Waste Program, focuses on diverting 90% or higher of its waste materials away from landfills to be recycled and composted.

The Ohio Stadium, or the Horseshoe as it is popularly called, is now the largest stadium in the entire country to achieve zero waste. Last year, Ohio State won the 2012 Game Day Challenge, a competition in which we beat 78 other schools to divert the most football game day waste. More than 102,000 fans pack the stadium at any given game, and this is where the impact of the initiative is most visible. So, when thousands of fans are busy screaming and enjoying the game, members of our team are  walking around the stadium (and trudging along in the snow come winter) , faithfully inspecting the bins, recycling and composting.

Also, after the Indiana game, our entire team went out on the football field and had our photo shoot for the season. This was also the first time I got to actually be ON the football field, so I wasn’t complaining. And did I also mention that it was snowing heavily? We spent a good forty five minutes taking pictures on the field and it was totally awesome.

Just look at all that stadium !

Just look at all that stadium !

O - H !! Go Beyond.

O – H !! Go Beyond

All said and done, it is extremely humbling to work with people who volunteer their services time and again to give back to the society in this way. I feel quite fortunate just to be part of a movement that accomplishes the incredible feat of 120,000 pounds of diverted waste materials every season. It also gives me a great opportunity to widen my circle beyond the Fisher group of friends whom I usually interact with and meet some really interesting and wonderful people.