The Season’s Pass The Years Will Roll…

I remember when I was interviewing for MBA programs and talking to people who had already gotten their degrees, a common sentiment was that the MBA program is “over in the blink of an eye.”  It is the sort of phrase that you hear fairly often, and is almost a bit cliche’.

From where I am sitting, a bit over a quarter of the way through my degree, I can now agree that the MBA program is quickly flying by.  It seems like just the other week that I was starting classes and meeting my new colleagues.  But, I have already completed one semester of courses.  I believe that part of what makes the program go so fast is that since the semester conversion from quarters, each semester is divided up into two terms.  While there are a few courses that last a whole semester, the majority of them last for just one seven week term.  So by the time you feel settled in a class, it is week 3-4 and time for the midterm, and then right around the corner is the final exam.  All in all, I believe that this course schedule helps contribute to the blazing speed with which the program is flying by.  The other influence on this is of course just the sheer amount of things that need to be done during the MBA experience.  From going to class and doing assigned readings, to trying to have a social life, find a job/internship, and every once in a while finding time for a meal and some sleep, there is always something to do.   As I have mentioned before, time management is an essential skill to excelling in the MBA program.

If time continues to pass at the rate it did for the first semester, the next thing I know I will be at my summer internship, and then graduating from the program in no time.  With that in mind, I am constantly looking for the opportunities that will foster the most personal and professional growth for me.  Managing those experiences are, in my mind, the key to success in the MBA program.