Accepting an Offer

A job offer is the holy grail of business school. After all, this is the main reason that so many eager professionals return to school and put their professional lives on hold for two years. When I see someone after they have accepted a job offer, they appear to be much more relaxed – almost as if they have received a second wind.

I recently accepted a job offer from 3m. My family and I will head up to the frozen tundra of Minnesota to work in 3M’s marketing leadership development program. We couldn’t be more excited. However, it was a decision that took a lot of thought and consideration. When considering offers and what we were looking for in a career, here is a little glimpse of our criteria and what we valued:

• Total Compensation – Clearly, financial compensation was important to me, but it wasn’t everything. I had to look into health insurance, vacation days, paid time off, 401k, stock options, signing bonus, relocation,  etc. Too many people may focus solely on base salary or variable compensation. My advice to anyone would be to not make that mistake.
  • Community – Moving to a new city is never an easy thing to do. When you have a family, it makes it that much more difficult. I recognize that I will be at work most of the time, but my wife and child will not.
  • Professional Development – I wanted to make sure that the company I would work with after my time in b-school would provide exposure and opportunities for professional development. The more responsibility and exposure, the better.
  • People/Department – Who I work with is extremely important. Nobody wants to work with a jerk or a terrible department that doesn’t receive recognition. Working for a good boss and a company full of great people was extremely important to me in my evaluation.
  • Work-Life Balance – I believe in working hard and working smart, but I also value my family and the time I get to spend with them. If I have to miss tee-ball games and kindergarten graduations, that isn’t the job or company for me. No success outside the home can compensate for failure within.

Again, this is just a short list of a few things I had to consider when evaluating job offers and future opportunities. Everyone’s list will be different, but I suggest that everyone make a list before the offers start rolling in. It’s harder to setup an objective list once offers have been seen