A new life

It seems like only yesterday that I landed in Columbus airport to begin my new journey as a Full Time MBA student at the The Ohio State University, Fisher College of Business, and already an entire term has flown by! It’s unbelievable how fast time flies when there’s so much to do – course work, classes, informational sessions, case competitions, job search, career interviews , and before you know it, your term exams are right around the corner! I remember feeling blindsided somehow – “They’re already here? But I’ve only just started my program!”

But that’s just the way it is. In hindsight, having seven weeks for a term leaves you with both a feeling of “Has it only been that long?” as well as that of “But so much has happened already!!”, which is a good thing I guess. Having too many things to do is way better than having nothing to do and I am glad that my MBA program here has truly tested my time management skills. I can already say that I am more adept at managing time effectively today ( a wee little bit ) than I was at the start of my program only seven weeks ago. Another aspect that I am excited about embracing and improving is my team-building skills. Myriad opportunities here. Take for example, working with our core teams for the entire tenure of our first year, or recently, the exciting prospect of working with my new teams in Project One ( a seven-week long project, at the end of which teams pitch proposals to Huntington Bank, a major local bank in Ohio), the upcoming GE Case Competition as well as the Fisher Internal Case Competition.

Some of the cool things that happened last term -

• Football! – As an international student, I have to say that I am mind-blown by the importance the people here give to football; simply put it is like a religion here - the sooner you absorb it, the better. Tailgates and simply sitting at home and watching the game on the big screen (when I didn’t get tickets) have all been super fun.
  • Healthy banter between Professor Campbell and Gray – This was a fun part of our Econ and Data Analysis classes. Enjoying the sarcastic comments each had to say about the other subject/prof, the back and forth ribbing and the general camaraderie shared between the two and with us. It didn’t hurt too, that they took our class out for drinks at the end of mid-term.
  • Social events -  Awesome opportunity to get to know your fellow classmates and second- years and make friends. There have been so many of these I can’t even count, and I know there will continue to be many more.
  • Info sessions – Learning about the culture and working of different companies, meeting with executives has been enriching. Not to mention all the free lunches.

All in all, it has been a packed first term and with a foot in the door on my second, I am readying myself for new developments and new challenges. I’m happy to be here. And I’m looking forward to a gorgeous two years of business school.

So here’s to new beginnings and a whole new life!