How I Select Classes

I have recently had a number of first years talk to me about career planning and how I select my class schedule. While I am not sure there is one sure way to pick classes, I have found a formula that has helped me enjoy my time here at Fisher. Not only have my classes been relevant to my future career in marketing, they have been fun and very beneficial.

Here’s a brief glimpse into how I decide which classes to take:

1. Career Path – I always factor into my decision how a particular class will align with my career ambitions. As a marketer, I look into classes with strategy, marketing, innovation, leadership, and value creation. Marketers focus on adding value to organizations, products, and brands and need to be well versed in multiple business disciplines. This means that not every class I take falls under the marketing and strategy departments. It means that I try to be as knowledgeable as possible in various business functions, and see how they relate to my future decision making as a marketer.Fisher College of Business MBA
  2. Leadership – Let’s face it, leadership skills are the most important to develop as a business student. Most business students have had to manage employees in their past, but they probably all could have handled it better. Leadership classes here at Fisher are frequently taught by past c-level officers that know what it takes to lead in the real business world. They balance real world experiences with current business theory to help students learn how to effectively lead and manage.
  3. Professors – A professor can make or break the learning environment within a classroom and that is why it is important to find classes taught by professors with which you connect. Essentially, I have a short list of professors that I have really enjoyed learning from. Because of this, I try to sign up for classes taught by these professors because I know their teaching style and I know how I learn most effectively. Figuring this out early on in business school can definitely make your second year more enjoying.
  4. Scheduling – Everyone has a life outside of school and classes, and sometimes it may conflict with a class or two. So be it. It isn’t the end of the world. I make sure that my schedule is manageable and doesn’t hinder my balance. Flexibility is crucial for business school, but knowing how to prioritize is just as important. Just as in strategy, it’s as much about what your company won’t do, as it is what they will do.

Following these basic principles has allowed me to enjoy business school and the classes I take. Hopefully it can serve as a guideline for someone else trying to strike a good balance with a challenging class schedule.