Give yourself a break…

There will be times in graduate school where you will feel overwhelmed and helpless. You will wonder how do I survive this?! This past week has been one of those weeks for me. I wondered how can I juggle all of this and maintain my sanity? But you can and you will. This past week I experienced my first Career Fair, which was overwhelming to say the least. But all you have to do is pick and choose the companies that interest you. You approach their booth with confidence and questions. You hand them your resume and thank them for their time. Then you happily walk away. It is really not as scary as I made it out to be. My interview was the same, I was nervous and apprehensive, terrified of making a mistake. But at the end of the day you prepare to the best of your ability. You do background research on the company and get to know yourself. Know your resume and be able to explain your accomplishments. In the end it is all about exuding confidence and being okay with making mistakes, because they are inevitable.

The same goes for your exams, you will sometimes enter exams and draw blanks, other times you know the material like the back of your hand. Prepare to the best of your ability, meet with your peers, and ask your professors for help. I highly recommend in graduate school reading the material and taking good notes. But at the end of the day you prioritize and make time for yourself. There will be a lot of reading and a lot of preparation for interviews, exams, and class. After you get your work done, hang out with friends and enjoy your time here. Rekindle old friendships and be sure to make new connections with classmates here at Fisher. They will be your support system and your shoulder to lean on when times get tough. If you need help or guidance ask the 2nd year students here at Fisher for advice, or ask your classmates who have prior experience. A final note, be present and take things one step at a time. Then afterwards relish in your accomplishments, even if that is just getting through your first interview or exam…