The Importance of Focus

Warren Buffett and Bill Gates were both asked one time about what was most important to their success in life. They both said the same word- “Focus.”

It’s not just businesspeople who think that, though. Many of the world’s greatest athletes, statesmen, thinkers, and scientists all exhibit the critical trait of focus in pursuing their dreams and ambitions.

Here in the MBA program at Fisher, there are SO many opportunities and things to do, including:

• Classes with top professors
  • Community Service
  • Studying/Homework
  • Sporting Events
  • Going to company info sessions
  • Networking
  • Campus Organizations
  • Core Team Meetings
  • Career Fairs

Throw into the mix some time to sleep, eat, travel to/from school, write emails, pursue your career, encourage others, and hang out with a significant other/friends, and your time soon becomes full to overflowing!

With that in mind, probably the biggest lesson I have learned thus far while here at Fisher is the importance of utilizing my limited time (only 168 hours a week!) to focus on my long-term goals. That means I say “no” or “not right now” to many amazing opportunities in order to pour my energy into the areas I consider critical for long-term success.

In my opinion, focus at Fisher means:

• Know why you are getting involved in an activity; don’t just do it because everyone else is
  • Spend time conducting several informational interviews with people in your field of career interest; that is the best way I have found to learn
  • Go above and beyond in the classes that are critical to success in your career field
  • Be wary of overcommitting; better to be excellent in a few areas than to spread yourself too thin and burn yourself out
  • Figure out the field you want to go into as soon as you can; that helps everything

I have by no means figured this “MBA life” out, but staying focused on the long-term has helped me find a balance during this intense time. I am able to pursue my career and learn in class, getting more rest (albeit not as much as most people not in an MBA program) than many of my classmates, as well as getting to still spend quality time with my wife. (At places like Piada… oh so good…)

1 Response to “The Importance of Focus”

1. 1 Sarah October 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

I really appreciate your comment on knowing why you are getting involved in an activity. There are way more activities in Fisher than anyone can possibly get involved with, so it’s important to evaluate whether or not the event or organization will really be beneficial to your personal growth. Thanks for the great advice!