Fall in the Midwest

I’m a mid-westerner at heart.  I was born and raised in Indiana. I have lived in the Northeast, the Mid-Atlantic, the South, and Texas (which, as I learned while I was there, is not “the south,” despite the fact that those of us from the northern half of the United States typically fail to distinguish it as unique — my apologies to Texans everywhere).  I loved living in all of those places, but there is something about the Midwest that will always feel like home to me.

One of the reasons I love the Midwest is FALL!  Having all four seasons is a great part of being in middle America.  But fall (autumn) will always be my favorite.  Here are some of the things that I like about fall in Columbus!

1. Taking Einstein for long walks to play in the leaves. (He enjoys fall as much as I do.  He doesn’t care for the heat).

2. Circleville Pumpkin Festival.  If you like pumpkins and pumpkin flavored anything, then check out the Circleville Pumpkin Festival! They also have a show for the largest pumpkin!

3. Oktoberfest in Minster, OH.  Minster is a very small, very German, very Catholic town outside of Dayton.  They celebrate their German Heritage in style – this year the first weekend in October.

4. Fall foliage!  Once the leaves start to turn, take a drive through the state to see all of the beautiful foliage.  I highly recommend any of the state parks. Last year, National Geographic named Columbus, OH one of the best top ten places for fall trips!

5. Football — (that one kind of speaks for itself.)

Whatever you choose to do to celebrate this amazing season, I hope you enjoy!