The Transition from a Small College to Ohio State

I completed my undergraduate degree at Wittenberg University, a small liberal-arts institution in Springfield, Ohio, a city about 45 miles west of Columbus.  The school held about 1,800 students, which was only slightly larger than the high school I attended so I grew accustomed to having a small, cohesive community of classmates.  I also came to appreciate small class sizes where class participation and interaction with professors was encouraged.  At Wittenberg, I could walk to any location on campus within ten minutes.  Therefore, you can imagine the amazement I felt as I walked around Ohio State’s campus the first few weeks of school.

The first two things I noticed about coming to Ohio State was 1) the size of the campus and 2) the amount of people.  The length of my walk to class in the morning has more than doubled now that I am at Ohio State; the walk from my apartment on South Campus to the Fisher College of Business takes a little over twenty minutes.  Furthermore, I see several hundred students on that twenty-plus minute walk every day, which is reasonable given that Ohio State has over 56,000 students, making OSU the third largest university campus by enrollment as of fall 2011.

Despite the great size of Ohio State, I have been able to experience the same features I found so attractive at my small undergrad institution.  Because the MAcc program has only 85 students, I still have small classes where participation and interaction with professors are key elements of the educational experience.  Moreover, while the MAcc program has a small-school feel to it, the resources and the facilities made available to us in the MAcc program are far greater than those I experienced at Wittenberg.  The Business building at Wittenberg and the career management office at Wittenberg pale in comparison to the state-of-the-art Fisher College of Business complex and the Office of Career Management at Ohio State.  For instance, in my four years at Wittenberg, I never had the opportunity to meet with a representative from the Big Four because we were so small and had minimal resources.  Contrast that with Ohio State, where, prior to even beginning our program, we were able to connect with representatives from the Big 4 accounting firms, regional accounting firms, and other leading companies in industry during orientation.  The Big 4 seem to be running events on a weekly basis and even have office hours in the Fisher Office of Career Management.

MAcc students mix ‘n’ mingle with recruiters during orientation

To conclude, it has become clear to me (and hopefully to you) that the only downfall of the transition from a small college to Ohio State is the long trek to class in the morning.  That aside, the MAcc program at Ohio State has the classroom experience of a small institution but with large school resources and facilities.