Overdue snippets from my transition to the Buckeye life

Okay, so it’s been a little late in the coming, but I have finally managed to sit down and get myself to write my first blog.

I apologize if it becomes a little monotonous, but I’ll have to work my way through these blogs chronologically, starting from as early as¬† getting all geared up for flying in to Ohio from halfway across the globe and then slowly work my way through to present day over a series of blogs. In order to do so, I’ll need to cover some basics about myself:

• I’m 23 and I’m from Pakistan
  • I’m the youngest of 4 siblings, meaning I’ve been fed everything in a silver spoon all my life
  • I have a bachelors degree in marketing and finance
  • I ended up at Fisher simply because it’s one of the best business schools and it’s got one of the best HR graduate programs
  • Also, the more I read about Columbus, the more I fell in love with the city, and the more sure I was about Fisher being my final choice

So, first things first; for international students, packing for college when you don’t know how long you’re going for and when your next trip back home is going to be, basically equals stress, uncertainty, and anxiety. There were checklists, then those check lists were revised, then those checklists were revised so many times that I had to come up with new ones from scratch.

The process is too personal for me to comment on what I think are ‘must-haves’ and ‘can-do-withouts’. My only two pieces of advice would be:

1. Plan well in advance–Even though the process overall entailed quite a bit of chaos, I’m very proud of myself for being able to spend the last couple of days at home with my family instead of being out and about running last minute errands
  2. Make sure you bring certain things from home that, well, simply put, just bring a smile to your face. No matter how independent you are or how exciting the idea of you being on your own is, I assure you, you WILL inevitably get home-sick every now and then–I brought pictures (obviously). But then I also brought along a pack of Pakistani candy that I absolutely love; I brought¬†shalwar kameez, the national clothing of Pakistan, and believe it or not, these tiny little things make me feel better when I miss home.
For those of you who were wondering, that's what a shalwar kameez looks like

Me on my first ever Eid (religious holiday) away from home

Whatever you do though, don’t let your nerves get the best of you. Yes, leaving home is stressful and you’d like to make sure you have everything you might need, right down to a bar of soap for immediate use, but if you overlook it, breath. It isn’t the end of the world. This phase is nothing but the beginning of a very very exciting yet intensely challenging journey. So embrace it; don’t panic; don’t stress over it; in fact, try enjoying every bit of it.

That’ll be all for now. I shall revisit soon hopefully, with a more frequent influx of blogs from me, taking me through to present day. Ciao!