Urbanation: The ‘Shoe Welcomes Urban Meyer

As an OSU undergrad and huge Buckeye fan, it’s inevitable that I would have to mention Buckeye football, so why not sooner rather than later?

The sea of scarlet and gray on a game day (photo courtesy of Ohio State)

Yesterday, fellow OSU grad students, undergrads, alumni and faculty came together in the ‘Shoe for the first game of the season.  This was Urban Meyer‘s first game as head coach, and fans were ecstatic to have him lead the team onto the field.  In order to save time, space, and lots of reading for you, I’ll walk you through my first few moments of excitement and let you imagine the rest in our 56-10 win over the Miami RedHawks (or perhaps enjoy a recap courtesy of ESPN).

Step 1:  Find our seats

As a freshman, I watched games from the top row of the South Stands.  When I say top row, I don’t mean the last row of the bleachers.  I am referring to the row created from folding chairs up behind the last row of bleachers.  It only took four years, but I would have to say our seats have improved!  I was able to enjoy the cheerleaders, band, and most importantly the team up close throughout the game.

The view from my seat in the ‘Shoe!

Step 2:  Snap a picture before kick-off! 

It was vital that my seating group-mates and I took pictures before the sauna that was the ‘Shoe – or the rain – drained us of picture-taking energy!

My sister, Ellen (on my left), and roommate, Sam (on my right), squeeze in a pic before kick-off!

Step 3:  QUICK CALS!!!

In a new tradition for the Buckeyes, the team and coaches got the students hyped up with OSU Quick Cals.  The energy this created was insane!  I promise to practice and hit everything right with the players next weekend :)

All that was left was Script Ohio, lots of touchdowns, Brutus Buckeye, an insane catch by Devin Smith, President Gee, plenty of Braxton Miller, Carmen Ohio…simply put, a great day for football.  It’s sure to be a topic of conversation when the MAcc students return to class on Tuesday!