My Goals for the MAcc!

First of all, a little bit about myself for those of you who don’t know me…

My name is Sarah Hambley and I am a combined BSBA/MAcc student, meaning I will receive both my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in accounting in May 2013.  I’m from Hilliard, Ohio, so Columbus has been my home forever.  I’m proud to be a Buckeye and am so excited to be spending my final year at Ohio State in Fisher’s MAcc program!

As another year starts, I’d like to share my goals for the year – specifically the MAcc program.

1. Learn as much as I can from everyone – not just the faculty, but also the other students, guest speakers, business professionals on campus, etc.  MAcc students are lucky to have amazing faculty members like Anil Arya, Dave Williams, and Eric Spires (just to name a few).  However, we only spend three or four hours a week in class with these professors.  We’ll spend many, many more with our classmates who come from diverse backgrounds and have unique ideas.  I’m looking forward to learning from all of them!
  2. Get out of my comfort zone!  Many of the Grad bloggers have shared stories about their experiences at Summit Vision on the high ropes courses during orientation.  I’m proud to say that I kicked off grad school by climbing a 20-something foot pole and jumping off (eyes wide open)!  I definitely consider myself to be a risk-averse person, so this was a big step for me.  I hope I can take other big leaps with the support of my MAcc classmates.
  3. Dominate Tzachi’s research class.  My first accounting professor at Fisher was Tzachi Zach, and…well…he must have had a positive influence on me since I’m still studying accounting and going into the profession :)  Most MAcc students by now have heard that Professor Zach’s research class is intense and extremely difficult.  Therefore, I’m making it a personal goal to, well, dominate!
  4. HAVE FUN!!!  Apparently I can be described as “too uptight,” “nerdy,” or “insane” when it comes to how much time I spend on school and other Fisher involvement.  With this being my last year, I will do my best – for everyone’s sake – to relax and have fun!  (I can’t promise anything…I’m already caught up in the MAcc hype).

Above all, I can’t wait to share the next year with these kids.  It’s going to fly!

MAcc Class of 2013 at Summit Vision