I Had Lunch With the Lieutenant Governor

It’s not everyday that you can say “Hey, I had lunch with Ohio’s Lieutenant Governor!” (although as a student in the MAcc program, you can get pretty close to saying such awesome things on a daily basis).

Well my friends, the MAcc program made sure that we could say just that.  So, I’ll say it – I had lunch with Ohio’s Lieutenant Governor.  Granted, it wasn’t a one-on-one lunch or anything.  But still, Mary Taylor came to speak to all of us MAccers (and a few other graduate students) at lunch.  How cool is that!?

For those of you who are not familiar with the Lieutenant Governor’s background, this is such a big deal because she is the first CPA to hold an elected office in the state of Ohio.  This is great news for students like me, who do not plan on making their living with their CPA in the field public accounting.  And even better news – she  is adamant that while she does not explicitly use her CPA on a daily basis, it has proven to be invaluable in her career.

I think the best part of this experience came in the Q&A session.  Lt. Governor Taylor provided great information regarding her background and career evolution at the start, but was eager to hear our questions.  This proved that the event was really for US, which I really appreciated.  She ensured that the hour was dedicated to ensuring that all of the MAcc (and the few MBA and SMF) students could learn exactly what we wanted to know.

Lieutenant Governor Taylor was great to listen to – she spoke openly, engaged us all, and answered all of our questions.  She provided some really unique perspectives on how becoming a CPA can broaden your thinking, and how it applies beyond the field of accounting.  I feel more confident than ever now that just because I have an accounting degree does not mean I’ll be an accountant forever.  From the way Lt. Governor Taylor made it sound, having your CPA is one of the best moves to make…you’ll be prepared for anything, and benefit from the unique methods of analysis it prepares you for.

Exciting opportunities like this happen all the time in the MAcc program.  This was one of the bigger awesome opportunities, and I am so thankful I was able to attend.  But rest assured – if you enroll in the MAcc program, you’ll have plenty of chances to attend outstanding presentations just like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOC6iRYpegE