Do you have “a passion”?

Many use the word rather loosely but not many of us have been able to relate to it very well. It’s beneficial to know and understand the true worth of passion. If i may ask, “What is your passion?”

We celebrate our parents, family, friends, history makers, colleagues for what they’ve been able to achieve but fail to realize that the very thing that led them to success was their ability to find their respective passions. It is not rare to find people in the latter years of their lives regretting the careers they chose. One is  unable to comprehend why it took someone so many years to realize he/she never had an interest in something. The truth is that while we point accusing fingers, many of us do the same.

If we take the time off our busy schedules to look within, in order to locate the bearings of our passions, I am confident we will all be successful in our chosen fields of study and career. Just take a moment and ask yourself that one question: What do I love to do, what do I do with the best of my ability/strength, what intrigues me, what makes me want to wake up every morning?

The answers wouldn’t come in a day but once you begin to consciously reflect on this, the wind would stop tossing you back and forth.  It is even more true when it comes to recruiting. Your most powerful tool (competitive advantage) in any interview is your passion – it cannot be hidden. One interviewer put it this way: “the only difference between two candidates in an interview is the passion.”

The will to win; the desire to succeed; and the urge to reach your full potential …

these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence (Confucius) 

Author: Nii Ankrah

I was born in Accra, Ghana on April 6th, 1987. I lived in Accra most of the days of my life till i moved to the USA to further my studies in August 2011 at the age of 24. I had my high school education in Pope John Senior High School and Junior Seminary, Ghana (2002-2005). I then undertook my undergraduate studies (Bsc. Administration - Accounting Option) at the University of Ghana Business School (2006-2010). Moving on to PwC-Ghana, i worked as an audit trainee for a year after which i enrolled in Ohio State University - Fisher College of Business to pursue a Masters degree in Accounting (MAcc). My objective is to build a career in forensic accounting. I will be joining Ernst and Young's fraud investigation and dispute services department (Cleveland office) in Fall 2012.

1 thought on “Do you have “a passion”?”