MBA Career Switchers

Hi everyone! My name is Nadine and I am a second year MBA student working in the Office of Admissions as a student ambassador. This week I’ll be serving as a guest blogger to share some of my experiences with you this year. I know I have interacted with many of you either in-person during Fisher Premiere weekend or at various other information sessions, or by e-mail through our ambassador inbox. I’m excited to write a few posts so I may share with you more about my background, the reasons I came to business school and why Fisher has been a good fit for me so far.
Before coming to business school, I worked at Ernst and Young in Cleveland and decided that although public accounting was a great start to my career, I wanted to move away from manufacturing and focus on retail and consumer goods. This past summer I worked at Limited Brands as a senior financial analyst, and although LB was a great introduction to retail, I learned that focusing on marketing and strategy, in particular brand management, is the right role I want to pursue after graduation.
A lot of people wonder if business school is the right opportunity to make career changes, and I absolutely think that if you are passionate about what kinds of roles you are interested in from the start of your MBA program, Fisher’s customized elective structures make it possible for you to do so. Some of my friends have interests in subject areas that are outside of business school such as digital media or health care, and have been able to take electives in those areas. “Action-based learning” initiatives are also a plus. There are plenty of student organizations available with connections to companies interested in potentially recruiting Fisher students, as I am an active member of Fisher AMP (Association of Marketing Professionals) and Innovation Fisher (IF). As you’ll see later this week, there are plenty of opportunities to dive into an area that you’re passionate about and build experiences that matter.
Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions about career goals, majors, or anything you’d like to know more about the program, at grad_mba_ambassadors@fisher.osu.edu. Hope to learn more about all of you soon!