I Voted Today

Did you?

By the time you read this, hopefully you are saying to yourself, “Yes, I voted – a week ago”.  I will admit, I came this close to not being able to answer this question in the affirmative.  I kept “forgetting” to apply for an absentee ballot, which meant that in order to vote, I was going to have to physically be at the polling station – the horror!  In all honesty, I had some good excuses not to vote – I was working all day and had class all night, I had a stats test that night that I needed every second to study for, I needed sleep, etc. etc.

But then the motto that we were taught in high school came to mind – “Voting is not just a right, it is a responsibility.”  It hit me; it was my responsibility to make it to the polls to cast my vote.  So I skipped my usual Tuesday-morning swim, set my alarm 15 minutes earlier than a regular non-gym day, and made my way to the polls before work.  My polling location was no more than a minute walk from my apartment.  If I hadn’t forgotten proof of my residence (my license is not up-to-date) and didn’t have to run back home to grab a current bill with my address on it, I would have been in and out in 5 minutes.  Even with the extra trip home, I was in the car on my way to work 15 minutes later – and was even 2 minutes early to work.

Lots of people vote every four years, but far fewer vote in the in-between years.  If you are one of those people, I encourage you to think about your responsibility as a citizen of the United States.  It doesn’t take much effort to do some reading on the issues, talk to friends, and form an opinion.  And come on – doesn’t everyone like to sport a cool sticker on election day?

I Heart Voting